Talk

Advanced search

14 month old - no words

(24 Posts)
ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:12:28

Is this ok? He babbles and says dada but not to represent his dad.

Getting a bit worried as other toddlers seem to have a few words by now.

ashtrayheart Sat 15-Feb-14 16:13:35

Does he point and clap hands?

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:14:27

Hi. Doesn't point but can clap

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:15:14

Just saw another thread where a 14 month old said about 10 words sad

marzipananimal Sat 15-Feb-14 16:15:50

I don't think ds had any words at this age. A very few by 18 months but practically fluent speech by 2.5

ashtrayheart Sat 15-Feb-14 16:17:25

Does he give things to you? Ie communicating without words? Pretty sure mine didn't have words at this age beyond babbling sounds.

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:19:24

Doesn't really give me things.

He climbs, crawls, takes a couple steps and repeat smile very active but not really interested in listening and talking etc

ExBrightonBell Sat 15-Feb-14 16:20:46

At this age I wouldn't worry about his expressive language, but consider his receptive language more important. Does he understand simple instructions? Does he respond to his name? Does he follow your pointing at things?

Also as PP have said, does he express himself in non verbal ways?

If all of these things are ok then don't worry about the expressive language, especially as he is babbling which is a good sign.

catkind Sat 15-Feb-14 16:22:05

Really very early to worry. You say he babbles, that's great. And does he communicate stuff - point, wave, hold his hands out to be picked up, anything like that?
DD was late starting to talk relative to friends, but once she got going she really whizzed and is streets ahead at the moment - at nearly 2 she talks constantly, looooong and mostly grammatical sentences. By the time they're 4 it'll all even out anyway!

DoItTooJulia Sat 15-Feb-14 16:26:08

I have a 16 month old with no words. I'm not worried yet. He's communicating in lots of other ways and understands lots.

I wouldn't compare your kids to sinlings, anyone's else's or any other children ever. It only serves to make you think the differences between them mean something.

If my ds doesn't say anything meaningful by about 20 months I may take him to see hv/GP but until then, I'm happy for him to go at his own pace.

Do you still see you hv? If you do, mention is, see what they have to say, but my advice would be to try and relax about it and enjoy him.

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:31:21

Thank you smile

He reaches for me, waves sometimes, is good at playing with toys like shape sorters etc and copies things I do well. He's great at tantrumming already!

I guess they all develop at different rates.

roweeena Sat 15-Feb-14 19:10:43

Honestly my DS didn't say anything at that age, had about 6 words at 18 months. Didn't really start speaking until 22months ish (didn't say mummy until 21 months!)

Now there seriously is no stopping him, complete chatterbox by 26months!

Don't worry

SimLondon Sat 15-Feb-14 19:18:39

My DD had one word just before 16 months and i was quite worried, i got a copy of the 'learn to talk' dvd from Amazon - it was really good :-) She was fine btw also very active - she didn't have the proper point until much later, more of an open handed grasping/give me/want that - does that sound like your DS? does he like peek-a-boo?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 15-Feb-14 19:19:19

My dd didn't even babble at 18 months... Even her nursery were making slightly worried noises... And then in the space of a couple of months she just seemed to "get it". She just turned 2 and is talking in sentences and singing full songs etc.

So I think you're right to keep an eye on it, and there will always be someone who's had an experience that didn't turn out well but those things are really rare. At your 2 yr check they'll ask you about language and if you're still concerned raise it then, you're unlikely to get a referral before 2 anyway (we looked into it when we were worried about dd)

So try not to worry too much, it will happen!!

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:11:44

Thank you for the lovely replies smile

He loves peek a boo, loves when I chase him and crawls away laughing, grabs for stuff, stuffs things in my mouth grin he's such a monkey.

naty1 Sun 16-Feb-14 16:31:03

Does he turn when you call his name?
I found using a picture book and labelling animals etc for a few mins during day helps.
Playing nursery rhymes in house and car.

hels71 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:04:53

at 20 months DD had just 5 words....by 2 there was no stopping her and her speech was way better than some other children I knew who spoke words sooner...

PansOnFire Sun 16-Feb-14 19:36:50

Your 14 month old sounds like my 14 month old, he doesn't speak either and tends to make noises to indicate that he wants something. A few friends have children the same age who can say proper words but I don't think it's 'behind' that my DS doesn't speak it's more that the others are ahead. I'm going to keep an eye on him for a few months, if he hasn't increased his communication by 18 months then I'll speak to the HV or GP. Try not to worry, the tantrums show that he's aware of what he wants.

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sun 16-Feb-14 19:40:13

That's exactly how I feel Pans, that others are ahead.

Mine generally throws himself to the ground if he's annoyed - he's highly strung! smile

naty he does, sort of respond to his name sometimes - depends if he's busy or not and he usually is

treaclesoda Sun 16-Feb-14 19:47:55

my son had no words at this age and I was worried because my daughter had been particularly early to talk. But around 22 months he just 'got it' and now at 2 and a bit there is no stopping him. I know you'll have heard this so many times it will sound like a cliché but they really are all different.

PandaFeet Sun 16-Feb-14 19:48:10

My DD2 is 15 months and I have been worrying about her speech too. I think my worry comes from the fact that her older sister was speaking sentences by 13 months.

DD2 can walk really well, and dance and run, clap. She does communicate with us by bringing us toys, but no pointing. But the one word she does say "doggy" is more like oooogggeeeee.

My HV said not to worry until 20months.

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:10:11

Thanks smile

I think he's more interested in doing stuff and going places. He can climb amazingly. He was sitting up at 5 months, crawling at 7 months but only started taking steps at 12 months. Today he walked across the room for the first time! I'm so proud. I think once he's mastered walking he will then move on to speech

BotBotticelli Sun 16-Feb-14 20:29:48

Hello OP, my DS turned 14mo this week. He also has no words and I don't think he is even close to saying anything...he babbles mamamamama and dadadada but not in context. I think they're just noises he makes. He only just learned to clap last week, and he doesn't point with a finger yet....although he's very clear when he wants something: reaches towards it making a 'beckoning' action with his whole hand.

But whilst he can't say any words yet, my DS has v v good understanding of what seems to me to be an alarmingly wide range of words <stealth boast alert!>...in his 100 first words book he can confidently point out about 30 different things including a car, banana, tractor, motorbike, flower, fish, milk bottle, water cup plus many more and a baffling array of animals from cats and dogs and fish to pandas, tigers, giraffes and elephants. So i guess what I am trying to say is, I don't think being able to speak words is necessarily a sign of what he knows/understands? My DS understands a terrifying amount loads and can't speak at all. It's like he hasn;t worked out that's what his mouth is for yet!! Am trusting that he will get there sooner or later and then gawd help us all!

ateddybearfromdelaware1 Sun 16-Feb-14 21:36:46

That sounds good, I might get that book! I'm always chatting to him and naming things and describing things. Hopefully it helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now