Talk

Advanced search

From bottle to cup - advice/tips needed!

(10 Posts)
phoenixrose314 Sat 15-Feb-14 11:58:31

Hello all! My son is 11 months and ideally I'd like him to be drinking out of cups by his first birthday or shortly after.

He has a sippy cup with water we have given him with meals and between bottle feeds, but it has a silicone spout and is very similar to a bottle so not sure it's much of a progression for him to be using that.

I have tried giving him the cup without the lid on but he just poured the water into his lap, so don't really want to try it with formula just yet!

Any tips or advice from mums who've already done this bit?

Millipedewithherfeetup Sat 15-Feb-14 17:19:49

My dd went from sippy silicone cup, to a more ridgid sippy cup (3 holes), sort if progressed from there, 11 months is still a bit young to be drinking ftom a normal cup I think, she used to like drinking from a straw when she was around 2.

phoenixrose314 Sat 15-Feb-14 17:48:30

Thanks for the help. When did she start having milk from a cup?

murphy36 Sat 15-Feb-14 19:08:22

What's wrong with a sippy cup?

Millipedewithherfeetup Sat 15-Feb-14 19:17:15

Cant really remember the actual age but she certainly was more of a toddler than baby ifkwim, in fact still remrmber saying to her to hold her beaker of juice etc with two hands when she was in nursery in case of spills, I would just let him be for now, and take it from him when hes ready to have a big boys cup etc, you have a way to go yet.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 15-Feb-14 19:23:40

We tried every couple of months to move from bottle to sippy cup for milk. It was horrendous, tears and tantrums etc. She was happy to use sippy cup or open cup for water at meals but she wanted her milk in a bottle.

On her 2nd bday we tried again, I bought her a new "special" sippy cup and did this whole charade of pouring her milk from her baby bottle into her "big girl" cup. And that was it, she's never asked for a bottle again.

I would wait until he's older if it's not working now. I know they say no teats after 1, and I'm sure this is good advice, but I wasn't about to do battle with a 1 year old over a bottle of milk....

murphy36 Sat 15-Feb-14 19:31:45

Tommy tippee do a range of interchangeable ones. Bottle, bottle with handles, sipping cup (with valve), remove valve, remove sippy bit, some straw variations too.

You could try progressing like that, but eventually he'll just want a normal cup. I wouldn't worry about forcing it

SpottyTeacakes Sat 15-Feb-14 19:36:54

Dd and ds stopped having bottles at a year and went onto the tommee tippee basic sippy cup (three hole). Dd's now three and only now does she use a proper cup. She uses one with a built in straw when we go out.

SpottyTeacakes Sat 15-Feb-14 19:38:27

Sorry that's not advice blush I just stopped giving bottles and gave the cup I didn't have any problems but wasn't worried if they didn't drink much to start with. Ds is 14mo now and only had a cup of milk at breakfast and then water in the day

scepticalexpat Sun 16-Feb-14 19:08:36

We are still doing straw cups for milk - dd is 2. She drinks water from an open cup at the table - introduced at about 14 months I think. And milk from an open cup in a cafe under strict supervision. But otherwise I can't face the spills!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now