Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What size do nappies stop at?

(20 Posts)
Popplecake Fri 14-Feb-14 16:18:42

This sounds a bit of a confusing question, so I'll explain what I mean . . I'm trying to buy my babies nappies in bulk when there are offers on to save pennies.

DD is now 4 month old and pretty much on to size 4 nappies - despite being in the 50th centile (!). So I've been buying loads of 4's and some 5's. However, considering how she's grown, and how fast (!), will there come a point where no nappies fit her anymore?

I've looked in the shops and the maximum size seems to be a six. I'm wondering if I should just buy a load of 6's and hope she 'sticks' at a certain size. IS this what generally happens?

madamginger Fri 14-Feb-14 16:20:37

I've had 3 kids and never used size 6 nappies.
We used 5s for what felt like years and then went to underwear.

Indith Fri 14-Feb-14 16:22:04

their growth slows and their shape changes, they elongate and stop just getting rounder and fatter.

Wincher Fri 14-Feb-14 16:24:32

Both of mine have been into size 4 by 4 months, but then stayed in a 4 for months and months. I can't remember when ds1 went into size 5. He's now 3.7 and has been out of nappies in the day for some time, but still wears a pull up at night - and I still get size 5. Have a look at the size recommendations - e.g. I think size 4 is 7-12kg and size 5 is 11-18kg - and have a look at your red book chart to get an idea of what size she will be when. Their growth does slow down - my 5 month old weighs 9kg and my 3.7 year old weighs 16kg.

WeeClype Fri 14-Feb-14 16:24:45

My almost 2yr old has just started using size 5, my 3 month old is size 2smile....after size 6 would it not be pull-ups if you needed a bigger size? which would be really expensive to keep buying those.

DeathMetalMum Fri 14-Feb-14 16:28:23

Most bramds do a 4+ and even foumd 5+ now im tescos. Though funnily enough my three year old wears pull ups size 5 at night and 11 month has 4+.

NewJobNewLife Fri 14-Feb-14 16:28:29

It is really hard to tell.

My twins are three and a half and in size 5s. They will go in to underwear before they need 6s. In contrast, my nephew is just 2 and has been in size 6s for ages. I guess he'll have to manage in 6s until he potty trains.

I don't think you can base nappy sizes on centiles. It depends how they carry their weight, whether they're tall or round. I don't think you can guess this at 4 months.

I used to worry about offers and try to bulk but, but to be honest the offers just keep coming, they really do. If you buy a month or so in advance, guessing the size/doubling up if you think they're about to change size, then another offer will be along before you've run out. I reckon we've paid full price for nappies for maybe three months over the three and a half years we've been using them!

DeathMetalMum Fri 14-Feb-14 16:29:41

Oh I don't really find much of a size difference between pull ups and nappies. They are just easier to put on dd.

saffstel Fri 14-Feb-14 16:31:29

I'm using 4 on my 11 month old (91st centile) and my dn who is 2 still uses these too.

My dd1 went from 5 into knickers at 23 months

Proseccoisnotrah Fri 14-Feb-14 16:34:46

They do go up to 6's but most stop at 5+.

Both my boys were enormous and I'm thanking my lucky stars my 2.5 year old only wears nappies at night now as it is a struggle to get them around him.

SoonToBeSix Fri 14-Feb-14 16:35:39

The majority of children will never use size six I would just stick with 4 plus or 5 . Or even better just buy them in Aldi then you don't have to stock up on offers.

TheAuthoress Fri 14-Feb-14 16:38:32

My ds was in size 4 very early on, and stayed in them for ages. Nappies go up to 6+ (pampers anyway) - we used them for a while before he potty trained at 3.1.

Dd is 6 months and has also been in size 4 for over a month now - recently we had no nighttime nappies for ds (we thought we could give them up as he'd been dry for ages but then went through a spell of wetting the bed) so we put one of dd's size 4 on him and it fitted!! So my 6 month old and 3.3 year old were in the same nappies!

As others have said, they slim down as they grow so it's really more for absorbency than size that you'll move up. I also wouldn't bother bulk buying right now as there'll always be offers about.

Spottybra Fri 14-Feb-14 16:40:23

I never got past 4+. Both mine stayed in a 4 for ages. In 4+ at night now. Dd is younger and could go without nappies at night as she is dry but ds gets so upset that he hasn't mastered all night without a wee yet that I'm giving him equal treatment a bit longer (until spring hits).

ikeaismylocal Sat 15-Feb-14 17:28:24

My ds was in size 4 at 2.5 months ( giant baby) and he still wears size 4 now at 24 months, he is a very long way from outgrowing the size 4s.

QuietNinjaTardis Sat 15-Feb-14 17:35:12

Ds is in size 6+ for nighttime but they are now too small so I've got the age 4-7 dry nites pyjama pants. Will see how he goes with those. Can't wait til he's dry at night as they are ridiculously expensive.

QuietNinjaTardis Sat 15-Feb-14 17:37:31

Oh and he's always been tall for his age. He's 4 and 110cm tall and almost 3 stone. He's quite slim.

GwendolineMaryLacey Sat 15-Feb-14 18:10:45

DD1 never got further than 5 and DD2 who is now 25 months is in 5 or occasionally 5+. I'll be training her over the summer so can't imagine she'll get as far as 6 smile

CouthyMow Sat 15-Feb-14 19:43:59

My skinny 3yo is in size 5+ still. My DS1 was chunky and was in size 6 at 18mo. After that it's pull ups. Depends how chunky your DC is tbh...

IHaveSeenMyHat Sat 15-Feb-14 20:41:47

Size 5s are too big for my 2.5 year old (who is about 14kg and wears a 4+) so don't stockpile too many of those - they're pretty big!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Sat 15-Feb-14 20:54:27

I remember panicking about the same thing as ds was in 4s at 3 months and thinking by age 1, i was going to have to fashion nappies out of towels and gaffa tape. grin
but is still in them at 7 months. It's the speed they go up and then as people have said they change shape.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now