Talk

Advanced search

Antibiotics and breastfeeding - did you notice any side effects in your baby?

(6 Posts)
Germanwife Fri 14-Feb-14 13:35:30

I have a terrible tooth infection and the dentist has given me 5 days' worth of amoxicillin. I've read that it is safe for use whilst breastfeeding (several sources, including Kelly Mom and the dentist himself).

However, now on day 3 of the antibiotics, my 10-week old DS seems more cranky and tired than usual and seems to be having extremely loose, watery stools. Today he also seemed much gassier than usual and in quite some discomfort. I've not changed my diet in any way over the 3 days (I'm already dairy-free and caffeine free sad ) so that makes me think he is reacting to the antibiotics, even though I've read that only a tiny amount passes through to breastmilk.

My question is, has anyone noticed similar problems with their babies if they took antibiotics whilst breastfeeding?

naty1 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:09:25

I dont know but that one always gives me an upset tummy.
It can kill the good bacteria. I would say try eating a probiotic but you are avoiding dairy
It usually took at least a day before i started getting a problem.
And stopped on stopping taking it.

FrumiousBandersnatch Fri 14-Feb-14 15:35:25

I had several courses of metronidazole and cefalexin in the early months for infections in my episiotomy wound and breastfed with no ill effects, although I have heard that metronidazole can make the milk taste a little bitter. You might find more posters with direct experience on the breast and bottle feeding board?

Germanwife Fri 14-Feb-14 17:19:55

Ah, great idea to move the thread Frumious!

Naty1, yes, I have exactly the same problem which is why I worried about DS having the same sad

naty1 Fri 14-Feb-14 19:02:21

Probably need to check with gp as is quite young if keeps getting diarrhoea.
Although wouldnt think they would suggest to stop mid way through

TheScience Fri 14-Feb-14 19:04:00

Thrush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now