Talk

Advanced search

22 months DS "not in proportion"

(8 Posts)
Thaleia Fri 14-Feb-14 10:29:47

Hi,
Just came back from a "just for fun" drop-in @ the local Health Centre.

Turns out that DS is short but heavy, being just on the 25th for length but close to the 90th for weight.

I know he is chubby compared to a lot of other children and also eats a lot. Well, he has a really big belly! I monitor what he gets and his portion size but not to the last 100%. He is active and fit and, although, he looks "fat" on paper, I just can't see it.

Tbh, I am still surprised that he his on the smaller end of the scale for lenght, with us being 1,80 and 1,70 tall (= around average). At the moment it looks like he'll but just a little bit taller than I am.

Is it really so unusal to be so far off between the lines? Just not sure what to do now.

Thanks, Thali

TheScience Fri 14-Feb-14 10:35:25

That does sound more of a difference between centiles than many children ime. Maybe the HV could give you some advice on diet and portion size? Does he drink a lot of milk?

Showy Fri 14-Feb-14 10:41:41

You say he is chubby but also that you can't see the problem. Be honest, is he overweight? What did they recommend? What is he eating and how much?

naty1 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:43:22

Is he in cows milk / formula?
Bf/ formula fed
As the charts are now based on 100 bf babies who will generally be lighter.
They are aiming for the ff ones to now be in line with the bf ones.
Have his percentiles changed a lot recently?
At 2 years they are around half their adult height.

Lilicat1013 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:45:48

He might be due a growth spurt, when my older son was a toddler he would gain the weight first then the height. I always knew when he started to look a bit heavier that he would get a burst of height fairly soon after.

He seems to have grown out of that now and at nearly four he is just tall and skinny.

It might be worth looking for a pattern over time and continue to get him weighed on a regular basis, if he doesn't gain the height it might be worth asking if they have any advice.

MissYamabuki Fri 14-Feb-14 12:58:10

Hi op, my dd is the opposite, 99th for height and 25th for weight. I don't weigh/measure her, but they did recently at hospital (chest infection). the.dr asked the.nurses to double-check.but didn'tcomment. Tbh no health professional ever has - she was born 90th for height and 50th for weight so the disproportion has got worse if you want (3yo now). she looks painfully thin to me but i still try not to turn mealtimes into a fight sad

murphy36 Fri 14-Feb-14 15:58:20

This is not a problem.

Sirzy Fri 14-Feb-14 16:01:52

Sounds like a good opportunity for you to reconsider what he eats and make any 'tweaks' needed. Take him to be measured again in a month or so as it may well be he is due a growth spurt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now