Talk

Advanced search

What's your 16mth olds behaviour like?

(5 Posts)
milkyman Thu 13-Feb-14 19:17:36

My 16mth has started pulling my hair and grabbing my face. he suddenly has a defiant look on his face as if he knows he shouldnt do something! Im finding it v difficult although i know its normal and a 16mth cant be 'naughty' as such but he is v strong and determind! i try and teach him to be gentle and distracyion but need a tried and tested method!

MyNameIsSuz Thu 13-Feb-14 19:33:19

Oh mine knows when he's doing something he shouldn't be! He starts doing something he's not allowed, like touching the tv, and looks around to see if I'm watching before grinning and doing it anyway. He also goes in the kitchen to hide from me, he's not allowed in there without me as it was too small to properly childproof so we have a baby gate instead, and stands behind the door laughing. And recently, he was told no for touching the fireplace at his grandparents' house, then was met with a little round of applause from granny when he listened and stepped away - he then made several more trips to the fire, touching it then running away clapping his hands, I think he was doing it for the praise he'd get for stopping! I am sure they know exactly what they're doing.

The only thing I've found that works when he's repeatedly doing something and either refusing to stop or going straight back to it (he turns the x box on and off repeatedly and cannot be stopped, similar defiant face!), I always tell him no firmly but if he doesn't stop I pick him up and put him over the other side of the room. Distraction usually doesn't work!

milkyman Fri 14-Feb-14 13:41:30

Bump

naty1 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:13:14

Put them down away from you.
They learn that they wont get what they want - to be close to you.
The do know they are being naughty.
(She even tells me now 20m)

TheBakeryQueen Fri 21-Feb-14 19:24:06

Of course they are not being naughty! They have zero impulse control at this age. They learn what gets a reaction & repeat the behaviour but they really have no concept of naughty.

Just a firm 'no, we don't pull hair, it hurts' (for when they do begin to understand) and distract at this age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now