Talk

Advanced search

4 month old and night wakenings

(15 Posts)
weesazz Thu 13-Feb-14 04:46:15

Help. After achieving all-night sleeping from roughly 8 weeks, my DD who is 4 months is now crying several times nightly, from 3am onwards.

She doesn't require feeding or changing and seems only to seek assurance that someone is there. I understand the need for this but she hasn't previously done this, certainly not with the regularity she is now.

A typical night will see her crying at 3, then 3.30, then 4, then 5 then maybe 6 or 7. It's getting wearing now. Any advice would be welcome. I don't PU/PD but simply replace her dummy and soothe her by shushing and lightly stroking her chest for a few minutes, however after the fourth time of doing it it gets frustrating. Thanks.

stopeatingbiscuits Thu 13-Feb-14 04:48:56

Sure she isn't hungry?

stopeatingbiscuits Thu 13-Feb-14 04:49:52

I say that only because it sounds like something is stopping her settling into a good sleep after that first 3am wake.

stopeatingbiscuits Thu 13-Feb-14 04:50:14

PPS four month sleep regression?!

weesazz Thu 13-Feb-14 11:39:35

Definitely not hungry. She's a great feeder and would let you know if she was (continuous crying getting louder and spitting dummy out inconsolable). She's back to sleep in 10 minutes but of course wakes again. What is 4 month sleep regression? Does it affect all babies? And does it pass? Thanks.

ilovepowerhoop Thu 13-Feb-14 11:47:15

is it the dummy? does she lose it then cant find it to get back to sleep? When ds started that I got rid of the dummy altogether as it became more trouble than it was worth. He was about 5/6 months I think.

weesazz Thu 13-Feb-14 15:07:31

Ill try her without the dummy and see how we get on, thanks.

melisma Thu 13-Feb-14 18:33:17

Google 4 month sleep regression-definitely normal for babies' sleep to go a bit wonky around 4 months. It does pass!

naty1 Fri 14-Feb-14 16:28:25

Are you patting to sleep when she goes to start with as they will need the same in the night (or the dummy if that was what they were using)

weesazz Wed 19-Feb-14 02:00:05

Aaargh.

6th crying episode since 9.30 pm. No sleep to be had by me. About to cry myself.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 19-Feb-14 09:45:58

could you try feeding her, just in case?

roweeena Wed 19-Feb-14 21:37:45

I agree I reckon she is hungry and having a growth spurt. She is still very tiny to be going the whole night

ZuleikaD Thu 20-Feb-14 06:49:22

Sleeping goes to pot at 4 months and goes back to 'good' any time between a couple of weeks and eight months later. I agree she should still be having feeds at night at this age - she's doing a big growth spurt.

milkwasabadchoice Thu 20-Feb-14 06:54:27

Can I just say, I noticed you said "achieving" in your op. So now you probably feel like you are failing! You're not. Sleep regression is really painful but normal. There is no magic solution but I would suggest offering her a feed too, and ditching the dummy maybe.

bellablot Thu 20-Feb-14 07:44:36

This is what babies do, they wake during the night. She needs something, whether that be comfort it food, she needs you. Just pick her up and settle her she's still only tiny!hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now