Talk

Advanced search

Tantrums vs. Crying for a reason unknown

(7 Posts)
GingerDoodle Wed 12-Feb-14 20:53:03

DD is 16 1/2 months; she normally a cheerful little thing that (touch wood) sleeps well. Today she has challenging to say the least - everything has set up off into screaming hysterics but if she can be distracted its gone in an instant. But that said, its so unusual for her to be this bad, her naps been odd and she's struggling to go down tonight so maybe she isn't well.

Im really struggling with how to deal with it...is the wisdom just to ignore? She's got a strong will and will just keep screaming. I don't want to screw up by doing it wrong.

ExBrightonBell Wed 12-Feb-14 21:03:55

It sounds like she might be coming down with something, or maybe teething.

What do you mean by "ignore"?

GingerDoodle Wed 12-Feb-14 21:08:23

Ignore as in not particularly respond to tantrums. Obviously remove for any dangerous situation / object, sit within eye range but not giving eye contact etc. I usually tell her (calmly) that screaming is not nice, there is no need and to come for a cuddle when she is done; then sit on the sofa. She normally calms down pretty quickly.

MerryMarigold Wed 12-Feb-14 21:09:49

Sounds like it's working. What's your problem?

GingerDoodle Wed 12-Feb-14 21:16:42

MerryMarigold - that's just made me chuckle and I'm not sure why. Its been a long challenging day, she's never usually this bad and I guess I'm just having a moment of self doubt.

ExBrightonBell Wed 12-Feb-14 21:17:42

Hmm, personally if there is any suspicion of her being poorly/teething I would be inclined to engage with her and comfort her.

Does she have any teeth due to come through?

GingerDoodle Wed 12-Feb-14 21:21:19

It is most likely I guess, teeth being a contributing factor - she's just ha 3 or 4 pop through together so I guess they could be moving a bit or there might be one at the back but she won't let mr look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now