Talk

Advanced search

4.5 week old breasted baby poops 3-4 times a day - normal?

(32 Posts)
EmC1983 Wed 12-Feb-14 17:24:11

I'm confused, is it normal for baby to feed this much? Information read in different places seems to differ widely!!

EmC1983 Wed 12-Feb-14 17:25:44

I of course meant poo not feed!! Baby brain on the main post! Title is correct! Ha!

Cakebaker35 Wed 12-Feb-14 17:28:09

Yes! Basically only worry if it's very explosive and watery. Also if its green colour it can mean they're not getting the full fat milk when feeding just the more watery foremilk.

PandaG Wed 12-Feb-14 17:28:15

normal ranges from once every 10 days, to 10 times a day iirc

TheScience Wed 12-Feb-14 17:29:23

Oh yes, DS used to poo about 10 times a day!

From about 6 weeks onwards, some EBF babies can start going only every few days.

naty1 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:48:25

Mine used to. At least about 5 times to start with i thought it was some sort of allergy but although there was a soya allergy at 20m she still goes at least once every day usually 2-3 times so think it must be her.
How i envy some bf babies mums with 1 every few days.
Its always when you want to go out.
It is in normal range but the question is is it normal for your baby which is hard to tell.

Forester Wed 12-Feb-14 18:53:26

It was always one in one out for my DD. A friends DD could go days.

EmC1983 Wed 12-Feb-14 19:14:59

She used to be 1 feed in 1 poop out but it's lessened in past few weeks to 3/4 a day. Look of it hasn't changed or anything like that. She's a happy baby, bit colicky in the evenings. Good to know its common for that type of frequency at this age. Thanks all.

tiktok Wed 12-Feb-14 19:22:34

Cakebaker - "Also if its green colour it can mean they're not getting the full fat milk when feeding just the more watery foremilk."

Not really right....this is about the least likely reason, and green poo is on the normal spectrum, and mostly, mothers don't need to worry smile

OP - your baby's normal.

Cakebaker35 Wed 12-Feb-14 19:27:27

Just repeating what I was told by GP, hv and breast feeding consultant...

EmC1983 Wed 12-Feb-14 19:30:17

My bsby hasn't had any green poo, just good old mustard colour as a bf baby should have smile

Coveredinweetabix Wed 12-Feb-14 22:28:02

DC1 only did one poo every 8-10 days when ebf, did a couple a week when being weaned, increased to every other day when I stopped bfing and now, age 4, goes once a day, usually between 3pm & 4pm
DC2, on the other hand, did at least 4 poos a day whilst being ebf and it wasn't unusual for him to do 7 or 8, had no change on being weaned or when I stopped bfing but, age 18mths, suddenly dropped to one massive one a day, usually between 6pm & 7pm. I have changed so many more nappies with DC2, have spent so much more on nappies and, until recently, found it really frustrating if we were going away for the weekend or similar as I had no idea how many he'd need whereas DD had one for overnight, one for the morning, one for the afternoon & one for the evening.
So, yes, entirely normal.

tiktok Wed 12-Feb-14 23:35:58

cakebaker sorry you were so misled by people who should know better.

ZingSweetApple Thu 13-Feb-14 00:28:30

4 times a day or 4 times a week - no problem, as long as they wee regularly!

as other's said the colour is important - green means not enough milk going through.

white and dark are no good either - can't remember what those mean

mustard colour with tiny "sesame seeds" are the good poops!

ZingSweetApple Thu 13-Feb-14 00:31:04

tiktok

the green poo was very true for some of mine who had problems putting the weight on due to tongue tie!

so a very valid point.

green can also mean an infection - IIRC

tiktok Thu 13-Feb-14 07:59:50

I am not saying green poo can't mean something negative. I am saying most cases are fine and within normal.

ZingSweetApple Thu 13-Feb-14 11:30:47

ah, interesting.

I was always told it's ok in the first few days but once BF is established the colour should change to mustard.
if it doesn't or reverts back to green after mustard colour it's a problem.

frustrating that there seems to be no definite answer - like with most things!wink

Boosiehs Thu 13-Feb-14 11:43:11

My EBF DS had very green poo, and was told by BF consultant I mustn't have been feeding long enough off each boob nd utterly freaked me out.

GP said this was bollox and he was entirely normal.

MrsEllsmore Thu 13-Feb-14 11:44:06

My ds has had green poo for 5 days now, he has a slight cold but gp says green poo its nothing to worry about.

Notonthisplanet Thu 13-Feb-14 15:07:46

My 11 week old ebf goes from mustard poo to green poo all the time, it's nothing to worry about. I read a parenting book once that warned you will be obsessed by all the different colours of poo a baby will have grin

ZingSweetApple Thu 13-Feb-14 15:16:42

this is why we need MN!wink

and they should invent a poo-colour chart.

I'd call it "Poo-lux"grin

Cakebaker35 Thu 13-Feb-14 17:44:22

The NCT provide a poo colour chart, I couldn't believe it but then we studied it all the time, madness!

Just to clarify I wasn't told green poo was terrible or serious, just told that it could mean slightly less fat getting through but nothing to worry about. Did not mean to start a green poo alert but that's what it seems to have turned into grin Sorry OP your thread got a bit hijacked.

tiktok Thu 13-Feb-14 18:10:20

Good clarification, Cake, thanks smile

The NCT factsheet is for babies up to about a week. After that age, you're on your own!

Green poo is a very frequent worry on the mumsnet boards - at least once a week, often more.

In a baby who is thriving, it is not significant. It can mean the baby is fighting an infection ( but is not actually ill with the infection).

All it is, is a reflection of the speed of transit through the gut. Poo turns yellow when it's been in the lower bowel a little while - if it comes through a bit faster, it's not had time to turn yellow and it is green or greenish.

If the milk the baby has had is lower in fat content, it goes through the gut faster ('cos fat slows down the transit time). This doesn't matter - the baby gets what he needs from the milk just fine, unless there is something else going on (metabolic disorder, baby not feeding effectively) but in these situations the baby is not well and you get other signs and symptoms of this.

Most babies who poo green are normal, healthy babies, getting the 'full fat' they need and thriving.

Probably all babies have the occasional green poo, and some babies always poo green.

ZingSweetApple Thu 13-Feb-14 18:32:34

tiktok

you're right the big difference is what else is also going on.

mine were not putting on weight so clearly the colour was and indication of that - so I guess that is what I know to watch out for.

for a healthy, thriving baby it's not worth mentioning.

I'm glad I learnt something new today - thanks!

EmC1983 Fri 14-Feb-14 06:49:55

Glad to see my original post about poo frequency has cleared up other issues for other people too! ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now