Talk

Advanced search

toddler who likes to cuddle and kiss other little ones?

(8 Posts)
principalitygirl Wed 12-Feb-14 15:36:48

From the point of view of other parents, is this a problem? My LO is 18mths and is in a phase of loving younger babies and toddlers. He generally wants to cuddle and kiss them, lots! I try to make sure he doesn't overwhelm or upset them or knock them over and I tell him to be gentle etc. Some little ones are a bit shocked but most react fine, especially if they have older siblings it seems, and a fair number hug back. Parents generally find it sweet and cute but the reaction of some has made me wonder if in should be stopping him? Sometimes they make a pained expression or move their child away. Some explain that their child can lash out so they don't want mine getting hurt which is fair enough but others just move their child away saying nothing. Maybe I'm being over sensitive ot over worrying but I'm now unsure what to do when DS becomes a cuddle monster when we're out and about. Thoughts please?

PixelAteMyFace Wed 12-Feb-14 15:52:01

He sounds lovely. As long as he doesn't squeeze the other little ones too tight and doesn't have a snotty nose I don't see why anyone should have a problem with it.

principalitygirl Wed 12-Feb-14 21:05:15

Thanks pixie! I try to stay on hand with tissues! ;)

AuditAngel Wed 12-Feb-14 21:10:05

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but then I have 3DC! Better cuddling than thumping/biting.

Accept that you can't please all the people all the time and don't stress about it.

One of the cutest things mine have ever done is when DD1 was 2 we had friends come from Spain with their DS who was about 19 months, they couldn't speak to each other so were very tactile, always kissing, stroking, holding hands etc. we went on the London Eye and the two little ones were cuddling each other and dancing, like an old fashioned waltz. Everyone in the pod melted at the sight.

AuditAngel Wed 12-Feb-14 21:11:52

In fact, one of the reasons I chose the nursery for DS in 2005, where DD2 is even now, was because the children were affectionate with the staff, the staff with the children and the children with each other.

Only1scoop Wed 12-Feb-14 21:14:12

We went through this with dd at same age. She used to do it all the time....adults , kids....babies Dr's she didn't discriminate grin
Her little face if someone didn't return her 'hugga' hmm
I know exactly what you mean though if she was getting 'thwarted' by a dc I'd just say "come on....they don't want a hug....they're just happy doing their own thing"
Worked <occasionally>

It wares off....although at 3.5 she still hugs her friends at nursery before she leaves.

Your dc sounds lovely don't worry the phase will soon pass smile

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 12-Feb-14 21:25:11

It's not the snot itself, it's the germs that Pixel meant I think. Other than that, very adorable smile

melonribena Wed 12-Feb-14 21:59:21

My 18 mth old ds is just the same!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now