Talk

Advanced search

4.5wk old baby's fontanel goes down then up?!

(7 Posts)
EmC1983 Wed 12-Feb-14 05:55:19

My newborn(ish) little girl's soft spot was a little sunken yesterday, so took her straight to Dr's. A nurse practitioner and then my GP checked her over and happy she wasn't dehydrated or showing signs of any serious illnesses. GP said she may possibly be starting with a minor infection (a cold or similar), but almost certainly nothing more.

Anyway, I've noticed on inspection this morning, that it's not sunken at all when she's laid down, reclining slightly to feed or over my shoulder - it's only slightly depressed when held in seated position/slightly forwards for winding. Anyone else come across this happening when holding new babies like this?

Splatt34 Wed 12-Feb-14 07:26:45

It reflects the pressure in the head (you will see it pulsing with her heart beat). So the pressure is slightly lower when upright to when she's laid down. Totally normal, its physics. try to relax and enjoy your new born.

EmC1983 Wed 12-Feb-14 08:29:17

Thank you Splatt34, that makes sense! smile x

AryaOfHouseSnark Wed 12-Feb-14 08:33:38

<shudders at the memory of the pulsating fontanel>
Yes what splat said.
Congratulations.

HaveToWearHeels Wed 12-Feb-14 08:38:18

Yeap exactly as Splatt says, I also had the same fears. It made me really squeamish and I am not a squeamish person at all. Enjoy your little one grin

BlueDesmarais Wed 12-Feb-14 14:20:59

Yes, it's lovely and grotesque but totally normal. She's got no skull plates there. That's all brain sac and fluid and stuff. Or blood pulsing by. I don't really know the exact specifics, but something like that.

It's yuk when you forget about it then kiss their sweet little head and UGH, you miss and get a squishy bit. Gives me the shivers.

EmC1983 Wed 12-Feb-14 15:52:57

Hehe! It is yucky! I guess i'd not paid too much attention to the top of her head whilst sat upright before and was stroking it yesterday for some reason and it being slightly depressed freaked me right out!!

Thank you for all your replies, it's reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now