Talk

Advanced search

one year old sleep, a bit much?

(12 Posts)
TheFlumpFlan Tue 11-Feb-14 11:19:28

I'd never restrict dd sleep but at nearly 15 months she sleeps a lot, it's hard to take her out. A TYPICAL DAY is still night 7-7, naps 9-12 2-4. That's 17 out of 24 hours, she is hysterical for sleep if not in bed by these times. It's a routine of her own design. She's small for her age, a bit behind on motor skills and snores like a pig. Is it a little excessive? Whilst I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth it's way more than friend's, if I put her down before two shed do three hours in the eve. She's asleep within seconds of hitting. Buggy, cot or car.

chocnomore Tue 11-Feb-14 11:31:16

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Childrenssleep/Pages/howmuchsleep.aspx

17 hours does sound a lot to me. maybe worth checking with the GP?

my Dd was snoring badly because her adenoids were enlaged.

neversleepagain Tue 11-Feb-14 12:54:12

My girls are 16 months and sleep for 13 hours at night and 2/2.5 hours in the day (one nap). There is double hysteria if they are tired and 6:30pm is the latest they can manage to stay up.

Some children need more sleep than others do. You could always chat to your GP if you are concerned.

Marrow Tue 11-Feb-14 13:01:49

Sounds normal to me. Both my children used to be like this. Friends used to say how lucky I was but I felt very restricted by it. DS is nearly 3.5. He still has a nap of at least an hour in the day and thirteen hours at night.

Dd is 8. If we are in the car for more than 30 minutes she will fall asleep. They are both bright and DD is doing well at school. I figure that they just take after DH as he sleeps a lot! It might be worth talking to HV or GP about her snoring though.

crazykat Tue 11-Feb-14 13:20:37

It sounds a lot. My 16 month old ds2 still wakes 1-2 times a night but is in bed 7/8pm - 6.30/7am and has a 2-3 hour nap in the morning and maybe half an hour in the afternoon.

If you're worried ask your HV or GP to make sure there's not something causing her to sleep so much.

Some toddlers/children just like their sleep. My 3yo sleeps 12-13 hours at night and would happily have a 2 hour nap in the afternoon.

MiaowTheCat Tue 11-Feb-14 13:46:15

We joke DD2 is like some wonky clockwork toy - the second her energy is gone, she'll fall asleep in the middle of whatever she's doing - you can almost set your watch by it. Their father is like 99% sloth though!

notso Tue 11-Feb-14 14:00:48

DS3 sleeps loads he is 22 months. When well he sleeps 7.30pm until 7-30 8 am and will have 2-4 hours during the day. Between 12 and 18 months he would regularly sleep 7-7 then 9-2.30. I barely saw him!

murphy36 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:47:12

I'd sleep 17hours a day if I could.

RalphRecklessCardew Wed 12-Feb-14 06:46:21

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or anything like it.

The snoring made me wonder if she might have sleep apnoea, where people wake up hundreds of times during sleep because they can't breathe properly. If so, I think it's easy to fix - so please don't be worried.

JellyMould Wed 12-Feb-14 08:09:28

I agree with Ralph, sleep apnoea came to mind. I think it's pretty unusual for a 15 month old to wake at 7 then sleep from 9-12.

naty1 Wed 12-Feb-14 16:43:26

Mine sleeps a similar amount night 8:30-8am
11-12:30 4-5:30 and thats at 20m
She doesnt fall asleep easily when out we are in car about 40m before she fets tired and think thats more due to being nap time
But she doesnt snore though
I find teething can make her more tired.
She is so active and learning so much always reading etc

AnyaKnowIt Wed 12-Feb-14 16:49:00

I would get the snoring checked out. She could be waking up in the night and not having a solid sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now