Talk

Advanced search

No back molars yet??? Is this normal??

(9 Posts)
Jakeyblueblue Tue 11-Feb-14 10:19:39

Hi my ds is 31 months and hasn't got any back molars yet. All the others came in on time so he's not been a late teether up until now and had all the rest by 18 months. Can't really see or feel anything in the gums either.
I know they all do stuff in their own time but he's always been very fussy with textures and I'm beginning to worry if maybe there is a link.
I will make an appt at the dentist but just wondered if anyone had any experience of similar?

ilovepowerhoop Tue 11-Feb-14 10:24:57

how many teeth does he have? They normally have 20 baby teeth by the age of 3.

Jakeyblueblue Tue 11-Feb-14 10:32:42

He's got 16. Back 4 missing. grin

naty1 Tue 11-Feb-14 22:47:17

A tooth eruption chart shows upper end of 31-33 months so still within range
Mine has had all at lower end so far except lateral incisors just outside upper end completely out of order.
I am hoping for 2nd molars now at 20m red cheeks and fussiness

Pascha Tue 11-Feb-14 22:49:11

DS1's back molars have only recently erupted at 3.2 (top) and 3.4 (bottom). (38months and 40 months).

DIYandEatCake Tue 11-Feb-14 23:38:32

My dd's last two back molars are just starting to come through at nearly 35m. Our dentist said they'd expect most children to have them all by about 3, and didn't seem worried that dd didn't have them at about 32m when we went for a check up (like you I was starting to worry a bit!)

mamicar Tue 11-Feb-14 23:48:11

ds2 had just got one through. he is 7 next week. I took him dentist to be told he's teething shock at 6 years old

Mrsmorton Wed 12-Feb-14 00:37:14

Mamicar he should be getting his permanent teeth now, if he is teething with a baby tooth the. So,etching is significantly wrong. He should be getting his first adult molar (the six) behind his last baby tooth now.

Can I just ask if this is what you expected to happen? Can you confirm that this tooth is number six? I constantly see parents in my ooh clinic who are amazed that their DCs get new teeth. I'm not sure how is best to distribute this info I.e via health visitor, schools, whatever.

ilovepowerhoop Wed 12-Feb-14 07:52:17

they do get their first adult molars around age 6. They are not replacing baby teeth but are in addition to the 20 baby teeth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now