Talk

Advanced search

Two-year-old DS (three April) repeating himself excessively

(10 Posts)
Woowoowoowoo Tue 11-Feb-14 08:21:37

I'm not sure if this is a developmental thing but I am at a loss at how to deal with it.

Say for example he wants grapes he will say it again and again and again and again until he gets a resolution. If I tell him to stop nagging he then says sorry repeatedly.

It sounds silly but its pushing me and DH to our limits at the moment , not to mention really worrying us that there's something up.

Any advice appreciated. His development is fine in every other way.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Tue 11-Feb-14 08:35:36

Do you acknowledge what he's said? Not to necessarily give him it, but something like 'you want grapes?' Or 'more grapes later'. Perhaps he thinks you haven't heard him or don't understand.

LadyWishfort Tue 11-Feb-14 09:38:08

If everything else seems fine, it's probably just a phase. I'm sure you already make it clear that you've heard him and that he doesn't need to repeat everything. Perhaps steer yourself away from annoyance by doing the same back to him which becomes a game that he will most likely get bored of eventually.
Just keep an eye on whether what he says is in context at that moment and not parroting random phrases, if not, then maybe speak to someone.

ladyquinoa Tue 11-Feb-14 19:30:21

Oddly I read that stuttering words Is related to the brain being a bit faster then his physical ability to make words.

Mine does it. He also nags for things too though which is different.

ladyquinoa Tue 11-Feb-14 19:31:17

Can you tell him when you will get the grapes? And just keep reminding him?

Woowoowoowoo Tue 11-Feb-14 20:32:31

I think it's an extreme version of nagging. It's driving us potty!

Thank you for your suggestions - really appreciated.

birdybear Tue 11-Feb-14 20:38:11

Mine does it too. He is the biggest nag . Will say he wants a drink and Will carry on saying it all the time while i am making it. Even after i have assured him several times i am making it!

barleysugar Tue 11-Feb-14 20:44:38

My two year old is exactly like this, it's very annoying! He keeps asking "what dat noise?" Incessantly!!

FixItUpChappie Tue 11-Feb-14 20:53:55

my 3 yr old does this to a maddening extent. I always repeat what he has said so he knows I've heard him and understand....this helps but it moves from a desire to be heard to just plain unadulterated pestering.

If you eavesdropped in on our house you'd hear a litany of conversations like this.....

"mom"
"Yes darling"
"mom"
"Yes darling"
"mom"
"Yes, how can I help you darling?"
"mom"
"Yes, I'm listening go ahead"
"mom"
"Yes darling"

"You want to play with me?"
"you want me to play with you. Yes darling, I will as soon as I've finished the dishes"
"Yes darling, I will as soon as I've finished the dishes"

He is adorable but this particular trait is very irritating.

DIYandEatCake Wed 12-Feb-14 00:02:52

My nearly 3yo does this too. I've had some success with turning the question back on her - 'you've asked me that already - what did I say?' 'Grapes when you finished washing up mummy' 'that's right, I won't be long and I promise I won't forget'.
This usually stops the repeated question - she'll then move on to 'i think I want the blue bowl, ooh look I see orange bowl, I have the orange bowl, you finished yet mummy, what are you doing mummy, come on mummy I getting huuuungry!'. The non stop chattering and demanding makes my head hurt sometimes! (Especially when gone at the same time as 9wo ds crying...!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now