Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop ds biting/picking his nails?

(7 Posts)
Valpollicella Mon 10-Feb-14 21:07:57

Any tips would be great. he's developed this habit since November. I haven't had to cut his nails since then as both finger and toe nails are right down

Dromedary Mon 10-Feb-14 22:06:32

There's a great ointment you can buy on Amazon, forget the name but they paint their nails every 2 days, and it tastes disgusting. V effective.

Valpollicella Mon 10-Feb-14 22:42:41

Thanks Dromedary I'll have a look at it. Dont think that'll stop the picking as well though confused

CocktailQueen Mon 10-Feb-14 22:45:00

It's called stop 'n' grow. I had it as a child. still bite my nails now
Now DS does it.
Good luck! Can you give him something to do with his hands to stop him biting? Play cards, draw, colour, make models..

HectorVector Mon 10-Feb-14 22:51:56

I wish you luck, I hate to tell you this but I've bitten and picked my nails since I've had teeth, I'm now 36. If you can nip it in the bud now that'll be great, but you may just have a biter who doesn't realise he's doing it. Regarding stop and gro... It's vile stuff and makes everything you touch taste vile too, but as a biter, you get past the initial taste and bite all the same. The only thing that did partially work for me was bright red nail varnish. Bright red nail varnish put me off nibbling, they somehow seemed less appealing, I'm not sure how practical that is on a little boy though?

FuckyNell Mon 10-Feb-14 22:53:28

You can't!

HectorVector Mon 10-Feb-14 22:56:15

That's kind of what I wanted to say Fucky - I've even attempted hypnotism FFS.
You can but try OP. If your DS is anything like me, he's doing it when bored or 'not doing anything' like watching television. If I'm actively engaged in something, I don't bite. All other times I'm biting <sobs>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now