Talk

Advanced search

How clingy is your 2 year old?

(11 Posts)
Bouncey Mon 10-Feb-14 20:38:07

Just wondering what's normal.

DD is 2 years one month. She goes to nursery 3 days a week and has done for a year. She is very attached to me. I think this is partly because she spends a lot of time just with me - my family are great but live in Northern Ireland while I'm based in London and my husband is in Afghanistan for the next six months. At nursery, she insists on carrying my scarf and her teddy all day long - but will give them to me without prompting when I collect her - it's almost like they are a mummy substitute. We go to a couple of playgroups such as tumble tots which she loves, but only if she can hold my hand during play or sit on me during the singsong - she'll never wander off independently. She loves to be carried ("mummy carry" is her favourite phrase!)

It's kind of sweet and I don't mind obviously, but wonder if she lacks confidence. She's always been a bit like this - took ages to settle at nursery and gets extremely upset if her key worker isn't there.

Interested in what your children were like at 2!

whereisthewitch Mon 10-Feb-14 20:43:06

My 2 year old is exactly the same....she also says "mummy carry" which can be difficult as I'm pregnant and she is extremely tall and heavy.
I secretly love it tbh, just making the most of the fact that she wants to kiss and cuddle me because I know some day she won't. When I'm about, everyone else becomes quite invisible smile
Shes very confident though, I think being so close to me and having a strong bond has helped her confidence.

Artandco Mon 10-Feb-14 20:47:06

Not really. He went through a really clingy phase at about 10 months, so I carried him in a sling virtually always until 18 ish months, coslept etc. I think that helped break it so hes ok now. He would still freak at strangers though but fine with friends/ family/ people he sees regularly

Can you try co sleeping with her? Maybe as her fathers away she's just afraid you might not be there too. A few months of letting her always be close ie share baths/ carry/ sit close/ co sleeping might help reassure her

Bouncey Mon 10-Feb-14 22:15:10

Thanks both. Like whereisthewitch I secretly rather like it - most of the time anyway! I understand that she needs to feel secure and loved and I'm letting her have as many cuddles as she needs.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Tue 11-Feb-14 07:01:44

My DS was really clingy at that age. He would never wander off at toddler group, he always wanted to hold my hand or sit on my knee. I remember being really stressed about it.

He is 4 now and still quite clingy! I am less stressed by it though. It's just who he is!

MiaowTheCat Tue 11-Feb-14 07:43:12

Mine isn't - she's never been a cuddly baby - but she's more affectionate now - will run by for a quick cuddle and then is back off... but this is the kid who'll swagger into almost everywhere with a "hiya"!

atthestrokeoftwelve Tue 11-Feb-14 07:56:15

My 2 year olds wee very close too- with me 24/7, and didn't go to nursery. I don't have an issue with it.
They are teenagers and extremely confident and independent with very caring hearts.

windydays Tue 11-Feb-14 14:50:34

My dd is just over 2 too and exactly the same. She is insanely clingy, she never leaves me at any group we go to and even at home won't leave my side. She also took ages to settle at nursery and still cries when I leave her. Although I love that she loves me so much but I worry she lacks confidence and sometimes just feel suffocated by her. I'm due another dc in April and am worried how she will cope sharing me!!

Bouncey Tue 11-Feb-14 21:18:51

DD quite often cries when I leave her at nursery and I worry about her moving up to the bigger room - nursery have very kindly delayed it for a little to allow her to grow a bit more confident. On the plus side the welcome I get when I collect her is amazing! I do feel suffocated occasionally (especially as solo parenting for now with family far away) but for the most part I treasure the cuddles as I know she'll grow up fast. Great to know there are similar 2 year olds out there!

naty1 Tue 11-Feb-14 22:17:49

My 20m old isnt clingy.
But hated nursery at 1 so i took her out.
She had become clingy at other groups afraid i would leave.
Now she is fine will wander off and come back and bring things.

ShoeSmacking Tue 11-Feb-14 22:28:31

Ds is like this. He's nearly three now and starting to get better. It was relentless and exhausting. Dh and I are currently celebrating that he's started being willing to play by himself at play groups sometimes and taking part more actively in his sports group.

I think it does get better but we have spent a lot of time constantly
Encouraging him to be more independent. Felt like a losing battle a lot of the time but we seem to be finally seeing the positive results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now