Talk

Advanced search

Posseting too much

(8 Posts)
Taler Mon 10-Feb-14 20:22:06

Hoping for some advice please.

My 3 month old DD has recently started posseting quite a lot!

She is now at a stage in her development where her digestive system has matured and she therefore doesn't need as much winding as she used to (however I would point out here that we do still wind her at the end of a feed, whereas previously we did it half way through too, and she generally always does some pretty big burps!).

Previously she very very rarely brought up any milk whereas now she generally does after every feed - soon after the feed as well as an hour or more after the feed.

It's a sad thing to say but I have no faith in my HV to be able to give me any decent advice about this and likewise with my GP too. Therefore am hoping I can get some advice/suggestions from you mums.

My DD is bottle fed on Aptamil. She has 5 feeds a day ( msometimes 6 if she wakes for one in the middle of the night) and we offer her 6oz - some times she drains this amount, other times not.

Would be grateful for your thoughts.

Thank you.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 21:31:04

Have you tried going back to winding part way through the feed?

Taler Mon 10-Feb-14 21:36:50

The reason we stopped winding half way through was because she started crying when we took the bottle away and when I posted about that on here the general co census was why pull it away if she wants it?! And it's not as though she doesn't burp now

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 21:38:33

Could you wind before the feed instead? Have you tried anti colic bottles?

Taler Mon 10-Feb-14 21:53:59

Why would I wind before a feed??

No haven't tried anti colic bottles as - correct me if I'm wrong - but as she doesn't seem to have any problems winding I haven't felt the need to explore that avenue.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 22:06:14

Taler, hopefully someone else will come along soon. hopefully someone you are willing to listen to

lovesteaandcake Mon 10-Feb-14 22:15:01

I found this with DD2 (now 20 weeks). Are you sure it's milk? I know that sounds stupid, but is it saliva? I thought that my DD was posseting a lot but the actual amount of milk was small compared to the saliva due to teething.
I am breastfeeding and I cut out dairy and it's made a massive difference. It might be worth getting an intolerance of some kind checked out?

I know what you mean about your HV. I feel the same I'm very sorry to say

stressbucket1 Mon 10-Feb-14 22:19:37

My DD was very possety and would bring up loads of milk GP and HV were not concerned as her weight was fine they said she was just bringing up excess that she didn't need. Only suggestions I have are to keep her upright for 20 mins or so after a feed so maybe change her nappy beforehand. Could go to the GP if you are worried they may give you some baby gaviscon but it didn't make any difference to us she just eventually grew out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now