Talk

Advanced search

10 weeks old- changes

(14 Posts)
Babyb2013 Sun 09-Feb-14 13:37:31

Can anyone help me shed a bit of light what's happening with my 10 week old, well she is 10 weeks today. She has been really upset over the last couple of days, sleeping more than usual, and crying before she falls asleep. She's gone from having more milk to not wanting so much, and just seems off. Inbetween she does have smiley moments and seems content. We noticed a little rash on her tummy as well, it's gone down a bit now but I'm a bit paranoid now that it's all connected. Might this just be a growth spurt and the rash a coincidence?? Any help appreciated!

Lozmatoz Sun 09-Feb-14 19:00:41

Maybe get her checked at GPs. no harm if everything ok but worth checking. It could just be her but going off milk sounds like she may be a little unwell.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Feb-14 21:44:34

Does sound like she may be feeling a little off. How is she now? Have you done the glass test on the rash. Don't want to worry you but its good to check.

Babyb2013 Sun 09-Feb-14 22:19:04

She does seem better now, thanks she had her last bottle and then an extra oz. I'm going to test the rash in the morning, we did think it looked a little better earlier before she went to bed. I started doing baby massage the other night and used a small amount of baby oil, I'm wondering if she may be a bit sensitive to the oil? Will keep an eye on her tomorrow and see how she is. Thanks for your help

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Feb-14 22:22:17

Seems a bit of a severe reaction if its stopped her feeding. Which oil was it?

Babyb2013 Mon 10-Feb-14 11:05:32

It was Johnson's baby oil. I am waiting in the doctors at the minute to have it looked at, I spoke to the doctor on the phone and they wanted to see her. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 14:35:46

Hope everything at the doctors was ok. I'd ditch the Johnson's. Their products are very harsh and every single baby in our extended family has reacted to them.

Babyb2013 Mon 10-Feb-14 15:01:57

Thanks yes was fine doctor said it looks like it might be the start of eczema. Panic over! Yes think we will leave the Johnson's out! Thinking about changing her milk to try and help her tummy. Doctor said worth a try as we have tried everything. Don't suppose you have any advice? Should I try a comfort one? She isn't constipated, as such, she goes once a day?

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 15:26:47

Did the doctor check her ears and throat if she's not feeding well? If her tummy is poorly, has she ever been checked for tongue tie?

Did the doctor discuss the possibility of an intolerance?

Babyb2013 Mon 10-Feb-14 15:48:21

Yes checked everything, she said all babies can suffer with that kind of thing up to 3 months and normally will grow out of it. She said they only look at intolerance after 3 months if tummy trouble persists do you think it's worth changing milk? Doctor said to ask HV for advice on which ones

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 20:45:59

Know it sounds a bit odd but I'd call one of the bfing helplines and discuss changing the formula with a BFC. In my experience the HVs only know what the formula companies push at them. A BFC will be able to give you a far more balanced view.

Lots of babies do grow out of intolerances, but asking you to wait 3 months with an unsettled baby isn't very helpful and my DM is still waiting for me to grow out of mine smile. Have a read of this and see what you think.

Babyb2013 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:22:37

I know, it's awful seeing them so uncomfortable! I've been having a look on here actually and a lot of the symptoms that my daughter has are very much like the ladies talking about silent reflux. We did get some gaviscon from the doctor just after Christmas, as we thought she might have got it then, but the doctor said the same thing then and said she would give it us to try but didn't see it being that. But she has a lot that reflects it; struggles getting wind out, (bottom way) she is pushing bubbles out of her mouth all the time, straining in her sleep, cries when she is laid down quite a bit, especially if just fed, cries on the bottle and cries whilst getting winded, arching back. Thinking we should try the gaviscon as we didn't try it last time. It worried us that she might get constipated, but she seems to be getting worse, unsettled already tonight! Not sure whether it will work or not

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 10-Feb-14 21:26:23

Think if you suspect silent reflux, you need a proper diagnosis and something better than gaviscon.

Silent reflux, cows milk protein intolerance and tongue tie can all look very similar unfortunately.

Babyb2013 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:33:15

Thanks for your help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now