Talk

Advanced search

Colic. Again :(

(7 Posts)
stopgap Sat 08-Feb-14 01:29:02

DS2 is eleven-days-old, and over the last couple of days has become distinctly unsettled--arched back, knees up to the chest, loud wailing--late into the evening. Today it started at 5pm, and he's been fussing on and off ever since.

So, for the second time, I am dealing with a baby who can only fall asleep perched high on your shoulder/in a car seat if we're lucky, and is getting fussier and more uncomfortable at feeds.

DS1 had colic for twelve weeks, and then silent reflux kicked in and lasted until he was a year. The thought of going down the same road again feels me with utter dread.

What can I do at this stage? I did not try cranial osteopathy last time. Is it worth it? I already don't eat dairy or gluten. Should I be cutting anything else out of my diet?

TheGreatHunt Sat 08-Feb-14 10:06:13

Silent reflux might be the reason already? Unless its crying from 5pm, in which case you need to rule out overtiredness. The symptoms can look like reflux. Colic is just a catch all term for unexplained crying.

Little ones need so much sleep, it's ridiculous and I'd forgotten with my second. (both of mine had reflux). The best thing was keeping my second in a sling pretty much all day for the first 3 months or and getting out a lot (good for toddler) so newborn dd could get long naps. If I had to stay in, I'd do the vacuuming with her in the sling to get her to sleep.
I also kept bedtime simple - change then feed. She wanted to be in bed by 6pm so would work towards that (difficult with a toddler) and the crying fits were minimised.

Chickz Sat 08-Feb-14 10:54:46

I'm doing cranial osteopathy with mine because of silent reflux. She's been much better but I'm not sure if this is a result of her growing out of it or a combination of gaviscon and rantidine.

naty1 Sat 08-Feb-14 11:58:33

Could it also be soya allergy?
A lot of milk products also have soya but also biscuits chocolate even bread but mine seems ok with that.

Jellyandjam Sat 08-Feb-14 12:10:05

I was just about yo post are you sure it is colic and not silent reflux. My DS had silent reflux from birth and now looking back I believe my dd had it too bug I was fobbed off with the colic excuse when I knew it wasn't that.
When DS was a baby keeping him upright was when we was happiest. I propped up the ends of his Moses basket and cot too so he was lying at an angle. But the most important thing for him was getting the medication right and constantly adjusting and monitoring it.

stopgap Sat 08-Feb-14 14:23:20

He can sleep flat sometimes, which was absolutely possible for DS1, even in the early days of life.

I will keep an eye out for soy, too, and we have our two-week appointment at the paedtiatrician next week, so I'll be sure to mention it.

stopgap Sat 08-Feb-14 14:23:49

That should read absolutely impossible...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now