Talk

Advanced search

Making transitions easier for three year old

(3 Posts)
dogindisguise Fri 07-Feb-14 12:06:47

DS is three and finds transition really difficult. For example, he often doesn't want up get out of bed in the morning. Then he doesn't want to get dressed. Then he doesn't want to go to nursery. Then he lies down on the floor and kicks and yells when it's time to get his coat on at the end of nursery and says he wants to stay there. When he goes swimming he does the same when it's time to get out of the pool. Then we get home and he says he doesn't want to get out of the buggy - he either wants to just sit in it or says he wants to go somewhere else. Any thoughts?

Rockchick1984 Fri 07-Feb-14 13:26:26

My DS can be like this - we have had huge success by giving him 5 mins warning "in 5 mins you will have to get in the pram" followed by the same but one minute. Also sticking to our guns about things, once me or DH tells him "time's up, time to xxx" then we don't back down on it - no chance of 5 more minutes or anything. It took a while and a lot of consistency but he only fights it now if he's very overtired (when he would happily argue that the sky was purple just to be contrary!!)

HighVoltage Fri 07-Feb-14 18:59:02

Warnings great - I've heard people swear by alarms and timers as well - so when the bell goes on/music starts it's time for whatever.

We also had a fixed routine that we went through at another time in the day that he could learn (only discussed when he's happy, calm, not tired etc.) so then we could say "so we've had breakfast, now what are we going to do?" - I think we learnt that one from Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting (recommended).

He still has his moments though (now 3.8) and I resort to TV bribes - if you get dressed now you can watch Cbeebies for 5 mins or whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now