Talk

Advanced search

How old for independent tooth brushing?

(12 Posts)
hillbilly Fri 07-Feb-14 10:38:41

How old were your children when they became responsible for brushing their own teeth? DD is 8 and does it herself but I occasionally do it for her. DS is 6 and I always do his. I think I need to monitor DDs brushing more because whenever she uses the 'plaque revealing' tablets it always shows that she has not brushed thoroughly. I have shown her on so many occasions, sometimes by brushing mine at the same time to show her exactly how to do it but she just does not seem to bother when doing it independently. They both use electric toothbrushes btw.

GlitzAndGiggles Fri 07-Feb-14 10:40:03

I let my 2yo do hers then give them another go after because she only brushes the back then sucks the paste off the brush

mendora Fri 07-Feb-14 14:40:53

DS is 5 and I brush his teeth for him at night but get him to do it himself in the morning. My theory is that he will learn to do it properly if he keeps trying, but in the meantime he gets one thorough clean at night.

lljkk Fri 07-Feb-14 18:30:30

My dentist doesn't confess this but am pretty sure she still does her 10yo's!!

It's really hard; I hate dealing with teeth so aim for 6yo but my dentist advises 8yo. My 9yo still sometimes insists that I do his <<BoAK!>>

BornToFolk Fri 07-Feb-14 18:33:57

I let my 6 yo DS do his by himself in the morning. It's so handy to be able to tell him to go and do it while I carry on clearing up and getting ready.
I do supervise him before bed though so I'm fairly confident he does a good job and he uses a 2 minute timer so he's definitely doing it for long enough.

I haven't done it for him for a couple of years now.

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 07-Feb-14 18:36:19

I'm a dentist, I'd say they need help until at least 7

NewBlueCoat Fri 07-Feb-14 18:38:44

I still do it for all 3 dc.

dd1 is 9, and has severe ASD, so I will be doing it for ehr for a good while yet.

dd2 is 7, and has always just lined up with dd1, and I'm not sorry tbh. IF I can spare her the hours I've spent at the dentist in my life then I'll gladly keep bushing away. We do it first, then she has a go afterwards to learn how to get to tricky back teeth etc.

ds is only 18 months, so got a while to go with bhim yet!

Dilidali Fri 07-Feb-14 18:40:37

I'll stop when she can do her own shoelaces.

Jinty64 Fri 07-Feb-14 20:35:32

Ds3 is 7.6 and I still do his. Ds1 (18) and ds2 (16) do their own - I hope!

hillbilly Sat 08-Feb-14 10:07:24

I like the idea of letting them do it themselves in the morning and me doing it at night. It has been pointed out by our dentist that dd has weaker teeth than ds so I really need to be on top of this.

Panzee Sat 08-Feb-14 10:11:10

My 4 year old does it while,I watch. Sometimes I do mine at the same time to remind him what to do. I can't actually remember the last time I brushed his for him.

Dulra Mon 10-Feb-14 14:58:22

I heard somewhere can't remember where that parents should brush children's teeth until they are 7 or 8. I let my nearly 4yo and 6 yo do theirs in the morning and I do them in the evening, they are pretty good at brushing but still want to make sure it is right particularly with 6 yo getting her adult teeth now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now