Talk

Advanced search

Saying "I'm poorly..." etc whenever told off

(7 Posts)
Malsmum Fri 07-Feb-14 10:34:11

Does anyone else's DCs do this? My DS1 (age 8) is particularly bad for doing this. Not that he gets told off very often at all, I just mean if say I call him for tea and he won't turn his tablet off, or if I have to have words with him because he won't get out of the bath. He almost always comes out with "...but I've hurt my leg..." or "...it's because I feel poorly".

I'm not really sure of the best way to deal with it. To be clear, if he had hurt himself or was poorly, I would have all the sympathy in the world for him, but I'm sure that it's not that at all.

Wise mumsnetters, can you help?

LastingLight Fri 07-Feb-14 11:13:32

When dd tries that I tell her that life carries on regardless, and I expect her to do whatever needs to be done. She can be a terrible drama queen over the slightest discomfort.

spanky2 Fri 07-Feb-14 11:27:02

Ds2does this . I tell him that if he was ill he wouldn't have the energy to be naughty . He also shouts "I'vegot a headache !!!" While shouting ?

DrewsWife Fri 07-Feb-14 11:32:51

My arthritis kid does this. She's nearly 18 and it's her go to excuse for not doing anything. If they are too ill to do as asked they are too poorly to have a tablet or tv and you should remove it. Oh and you might wish to use that same one for sweets ;)

ThreeBeeOneGee Fri 07-Feb-14 11:43:14

If mine complain of being poorly, then I tell them to go to bed. I usually suggest sleep and an early bedtime as the cure for most childhood ailments. They very rarely complain about being poorly! smile If they take themselves off to bed, then I know they are genuinely feeling ill.

Malsmum Fri 07-Feb-14 12:40:29

Thank you all for this - some good ideas, and I least I know that it's not just mine that do it smile

DeWe Fri 07-Feb-14 14:39:40

DD2 does that. I say "oh, poor you, you still have to XYZ".

I have also pointed out that if she is ever genuinely ill it is much harder for me to realise. She sometimes thinks it is hard because if dd1 says she's ill, I'm straight to look at her-that's because dd1 has to be last legs and a half before she says anything. Dd2 otoh usually can complain of something. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now