Talk

Advanced search

3 week old doesn't wake for nightfeeds, should i be waking him?

(3 Posts)
cookiemonster5678 Thu 06-Feb-14 02:56:41

That really...

When i was in hospital i was that out of it i fed baby at 8pm then we both slept through to 6pm a couple of times.

A midwife told me not to let it happen, and don't let baby go more than 4 hours without feeding.

Now we are home, he still seems to prefer his sleep so i set an alarm to wake him when due a feed. (Only because of what the MW said) This seems crazy because he is so peaceful and ends up ratty, disturbed and unwilling to go back to sleep. He will however always take the feed , so i wonder if i should start to allow him to try to awaken himself but run the risk of him not waking therefore not getting fed ?

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Thu 06-Feb-14 02:59:52

No, he's fine, let him sleep. Three weeks in, I'd let him decide if he's hungry - he'll most likely wake naturally after a stretch of sleep, and if it's 5 or 6 hours that's great! I'm assuming you don't have any significant supply issues or mastitis?

TravellingToad Thu 06-Feb-14 03:04:40

Let him sleep unless he is losing weight or not gaining enough.

Was he born full term? 37w plus? If so and he's 3 weeks now I certainly wouldn't be waking him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now