Talk

Advanced search

Baby falling asleep on me

(11 Posts)
Rachie1986 Wed 05-Feb-14 23:04:46

Hiya

My dd is nearly 6 weeks. We have been letting her fall asleep in us then putting her in Moses basket. Should we be putting her down awake by now? How could we start to encourage this - ATM she just cries. At night I'm just so tired it's easier to let her fall asleep on us (esp as she has reflux) and then transfer her...

NoSquirrels Wed 05-Feb-14 23:36:03

I'd say don't sweat the small stuff at this stage. By about 12-14 weeks you need to be withdrawing a little more to help them try to self-settle, but imo at 6 weeks you keep doing what you've been doing and get through the days (and nights). One day you will look back on this stage with fondness, I guarantee it - I remember my snuggly newborns falling asleep on us and wish they were that small again, just for an hour or so (but not overnight! grin) enjoy the small moments ...

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:28:29

As your DD is only 6 weeks I think just go with the flow for now. Despite dire warnings from my MIL and SIL about "bad habits" etc my son used to breastfeed or cuddle to sleep until he was at least 6 months old when we gradually started withdrawing a little. He has always been one of the best sleepers amongst family (including SIL kids much to her annoyance!) so I think just do what works for you, especially as she is still so little.

pumpkinsweetie Thu 06-Feb-14 13:32:40

Enjoy these moments smile, there is no such thing as spoiling a very young baby or making a rod for your back!
My baby is 4 weeks & i'm doing what you are doing and my baby has given me 4 whole nights of sleep so far & she is contentedsmile

Bankholidaybaby Thu 06-Feb-14 13:34:29

I still cuddle my 23 week old to sleep and then transfer him to the basket, where he goes 10+ hours without stirring. I have my mother, mother-in-law, grandparents, friends all sucking air and warning me about spoiling him but I don't listen and don't much care. I want to hold him; he wants to be held. Do what feels right and works for you.

AlwaysDancing1234 Thu 06-Feb-14 13:44:17

I have to add my DS is now 6 and although happily goes to bed in his bunk bed in the evening he cracked me up recently when he said he would love to be all little again sometimes so I could cuddle him to sleep "like in the old days"!!!

puntasticusername Thu 06-Feb-14 21:43:44

Keep doing what you're doing if it works for you. There is nothing you can do at this age to create bad sleeping habits. As others have said, from 10-12 weeks onwards you can start putting babies down "drowsy but awake" and letting them learn to find their own way to sleep.

SourSweets Thu 06-Feb-14 22:15:18

I still do this and mine is 6 months! He'll be ready to self settle at some point, he's not now. I actually love our bedtime cuddle.

lilyaldrin Thu 06-Feb-14 22:30:24

DS didn't start self-settling til somewhere between 7 and 9 months. Why rush it? Having a little baby fall asleep on you is lovely grin

nibbysmum Fri 07-Feb-14 10:08:29

Echo everyone else. Having little baby fall asleep on you is magic. I'm no expert on baby sleep but I still let me 4 month old nap on me every morning. No other time but I've realised I love cosy time with him every morning (and he sleeps longer which sets us up for day)

Jaffakake Fri 07-Feb-14 21:22:23

It doesn't last for long, so enjoy the cuddles if that makes you happy. There's plenty of time to install those good habits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now