Talk

Advanced search

Winding/burping baby

(8 Posts)
cookiemonster5678 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:12:18

I have a 3 week old bottle fed baby.
I
He doesn't always burp, after 5-10 minutes i tend to give up.
I am probably a bit neurotic because we had a cot death in our family, but any advice would be much appreciated.

cookiemonster5678 Wed 05-Feb-14 08:14:49

I hit post by mistake! My post wasn't finished!

I am wondering how important a burp is, and should they burp every time?

I am terrified of putting my baby back to sleep if they don't burp, and is then sick and chokes, as he often brings some milk back up when he does burp...

Thanks

cookiemonster5678 Wed 05-Feb-14 14:58:52

Bump

NaturalBaby Wed 05-Feb-14 15:03:39

Sit baby upright on your knee and jiggle/bounce gently. Rotate their upper body around or go back and forth then side to side a bit. This should bring the air up.

lilyaldrin Wed 05-Feb-14 15:07:11

I almost never burped/winded DS - if he didn't burp himself on sitting up then he didn't need one.

It isn't a SIDS risk.

BocaDeTrucha Wed 05-Feb-14 18:59:11

If he needs to burp but doesn't manage it when you wind him, he will soon let you know later on, when he suddenly wakes up screaming for apparently no reason and a trading burp comes out when you pick him up..... At least that's what my ds does!!!

I agree it's not a sids risk, just makes life very uncomfortable for the baby of he has got wind trapped.

murphy36 Wed 05-Feb-14 22:08:32

DS was a nightmare to burp. But, no burp for 5-10minutes, might not need to burp. Can try putting him onto his back for 5-10 and then burp again, being flat lets the air bubbles come together so it should be easier to get it out.

Keep upright for 20 minutes after burping, even if they fall asleep you often can get a sleep burp a few minutes in

Bedsheets4knickers Wed 05-Feb-14 22:32:46

If he settles after you trying then don't worry. Some babies just have good digestion x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now