Talk

Advanced search

7 week old son who won't stop feeding.

(13 Posts)
1sttimemummy89 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:09:55

Hi I have a 7 week old son and since this morning he has only slept for about 15 mins in total he just wants to feed constantly I am breast feeding and as soon as I take him off the breast he starts screaming is this normal?
I am new to being a mummy and don't want to be doing something wrong by feeding him constantly. Thanks

SayCheesePlease Tue 04-Feb-14 22:13:31

7 weeks is tiny, and he'll be wanting little nd often.

if you can express, and get your partner to feed him, once or twice in the day, so you can have a rest

if your stil concerned, speak to the health visitor

Bunbaker Tue 04-Feb-14 22:14:55

Babies often go through a growth spurt at this age. The feeding feels endless, but it will pass. (Then when they get to 13 years old they are always hungry again!)

1sttimemummy89 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:17:40

I havnt been able to express today as he has been feeding non stop but he is not normally like this he normally goes about 2 hours in the day time and 3 hours at night between feeds so didnt know whether there was a growth spurt around 7 weeks that i havnt heard about as last time he was like this was around 3 weeks old and we put it down to a growth spurt.

Havinganose Tue 04-Feb-14 22:20:05

There's loads of spurts. Particularly at the start. The Kelly mom website is good. Can't do links. You can google it. Get yourself comfy and put on a box set!

Jackthebodiless Tue 04-Feb-14 22:28:47

My ds did this, don't worry. Never slept in the day, just fed constantly. Just relax and let him, it's only a very short time (although I know it feels endless at the time).

1sttimemummy89 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:34:18

Thank you I just needed some reassurance that I wasn't doing something wrong he has fallen asleep now but I think I am just gonna stay in the chair I tried moving earlier when he fell asleep and he woke up and wanted feeding again straight away. Hopefully we will both get a bit of rest.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Feb-14 22:43:15

Just make sure you have plenty of snacks and drinks ready for tonight. All sounds perfectly normal but it might be worth talking to a BFC. Is there a Bfing Support Group near to you? If not, you could ring one of the Bfing Helplines smile

1sttimemummy89 Tue 04-Feb-14 22:56:17

I don't know anything about helplines I am seeing the go tomorrow for my sons check up so will mention it to her.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Feb-14 23:01:02

Unfortunately most HCPs know very little about bfing so if you have a bfing issue, it's probably best to speak to a BFC first.

You can find the details of the helplines and other bfing support here

1sttimemummy89 Tue 04-Feb-14 23:07:45

Thank you I will take a look smile

intheround Tue 04-Feb-14 23:13:34

Sounds like you are doing really well OP!
You just have to give in to the "feeding days". Put your feet up and go for it. Eat and drink plenty. It will pass.
Would echo what Jilted said. The BF helplines are great & docs often don't have any experience re BF.

Philosopanda Wed 05-Feb-14 10:18:51

It does sound pretty normal for that age. My son was the same. As pp suggested, I would just prepare nibbles and a drink and plonk my bum in front of the tele and let him feed. It is mind numbing and boring at points but I feel it was so very very worth it once feeding became more regular. I know it is hard though so don't feel that I am waving it away as something trivial. Also, yeah, totally agree about not taking a GP's advice on BFing. Every single one of the GP's I asked gave me absolute nonsense about just giving up and the like. Try Le Leche League maybe? Even if it's just for a bit of reassurance and sympathy? http://www.laleche.org.uk/content/get-support

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now