Talk

Advanced search

4 and a half and still can't stay dry.

(4 Posts)
bluesheep Tue 04-Feb-14 18:47:04

I'm starting to despair of my DD ever being dry. She has been potty trained since she was 3, but has always had little accidents if she is too far from a toilet, or if she is engrossed in something she'll often forget to go to the toilet.

Recently she has got much worse, and today she has gone through 4 outfits just since getting home from school. On many occasions she'll wee almost as soon as I've put new pants and trousers on her. I've tried talking about it with her, and she says she likes weeing in her pants and doesn't want to stop. I've tried putting her on the toilet every half an hour, sticker charts and marble jars, positive feedback when she is dry, telling her off when she wets herself and nothing seems to be working. She is getting sore due to having constantly damp knickers and I've tried to explain the cause, but she just doesn't care.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there something else someone can suggest to stop her 'liking' weeing herself? It's upsetting to see her sore and it's a pain to do so much washing! Any help gratefully received.

matana Tue 04-Feb-14 19:31:05

Have you taken her to the GP to be checked out for bladder control problems?

I know it must be frustrating, my niece has the same problems and she is the same age so you are not alone.

Has the problem got worse since starting school? I've also heard that the problem can get worse for a while when they start school.

soupmaker Wed 05-Feb-14 10:08:35

Please take her to your GP and ask for a referral to the urinary continence clinic. Our DD1 has had loads of bowel and bladder issues and at 6 is still damp most days. She is on medication for an irritable bladder and has a vibrating watch to remind her to go. Like your DD mine couldn't care less if she's wet. We've had lots of support from the nurse at the clinic. Please be reassured that there are lots of kids with bladder control problems.

Is your DD drinking plenty? Does she get busy and try and hold in her wee?

bluesheep Thu 06-Feb-14 07:35:05

I spoke to the school nurse a while ago and she seemed to think it was 'just a phase' and to keep going with the positive feedback, but you're right about going to the GP. I'll make an appointment as soon so I can.

What frustrates me is that she's dry at school, it's only at home this happens. It seems like she knows how to hold her wee and go to the toilet correctly, but can't be arsed to do it at home!

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll give the GP a call and see what they suggest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now