Talk

Advanced search

Looking for info about stimming

(14 Posts)
mummyjules8 Mon 03-Feb-14 19:58:27

My DS is 3.5 and is spending a lot of time running up and down muttering under his breath....at least an hour a day, sometimes more. It suddenly seems to have increased (or maybe i have just started to really notice it) and having done some Internet research I have realised it's stimming.

So one question is when a child 'stims' do they change the type of stimming they do as they grow up....or is it always the same one? I can't recall ever seeing a bigger kid running up and down or turning in circles? Or do they develop other coping mechanisms? Also once you have it does it ever just stop happening....or will it always be a part of your life?

He seems very happy when he is running up and down but I can't help but feel really worried about how he will get on at school. We are waiting to see someone about it, but in the meantime I am trying to understand a bit more about it.

Otherwise he has amazing speech, seems bright, engaging, and otherwise developing in line with his peers.

Any info would be appreciated....as I am currently going a bit mad worrying about it.

Mishmashfamily Mon 03-Feb-14 20:00:28

What the hell is 'stimmng' ??

MsAspreyDiamonds Mon 03-Feb-14 20:33:47

Stimming is usually a set of repetitive behaviours like running around in circles, flapping hands or other obsessional behaviours and it is designed to calm a child on Autistic spectrum. Have a look on the ASD website for further information.

www.autism.org.uk/

MothratheMighty Mon 03-Feb-14 20:38:31

You need to post on the SN boards here which are opt in, we know all about stimming, and the variety and frequency and such.
Stims do change as the child grows. or depending on what the trigger is. My DS is 18 now, and he's been through a fair few.
Come on over. smile

Redoubtable Mon 03-Feb-14 20:45:51

Mummy, jumping to label /diagnose him running and muttering under his breath as stimming is kinda extreme, I would feel.

Does he have any other issues- e.g. difficulty with progressing with play skills, melt-downs etc?

If it is stimming, IMO its a behaviour that has a function of alleviating anxiety in the child.
As such, stims may change as a child finds another behaviour is more effective to relieve anxiety; sometimes stims are subverted if the child realises they are not socially acceptable- but IME this is not always to the benefit of the child.

Equally, at a time of calm and structure in their lives, the stimming may lessen but reappear when changes happen e.g. start of new school, new family arrangements etc.

MothratheMighty Mon 03-Feb-14 20:51:22

Yup, you can try to stop a child stimming, but it may well be replaced by another comfort stim that is less acceptable. smile
Does your DS have a dx?

mummyjules8 Mon 03-Feb-14 23:18:59

Yes thanks mothrathemighty i will look on the special needs area....this is the first time I have ever written a post so maybe got the wrong area.

Its very repetitive and at the end of the loop around the lounge, he jumps 2 or three times, spins around, and does it again, and again and again..... All the time he is muttering about things under the breath that have happened previously. And sometimes it's just simply spinning in a circle. It can easily go on for an hour or more so honestly don't think I am simply being a fussy mother.

No dx but DS and I going to doctors to get referred as both think it's not quite right.

Redoubtable Mon 03-Feb-14 23:37:31

Have a look into Sensory Processing disorders- perhaps he is sensory seeking, particularly with the spinning around?

Celestae Thu 06-Feb-14 18:18:23

I didn't realise there was a special term for this, we tend to call it "trolling" my boy is currently going through a diagnosis for possible aspergers, although due to the pediatrics unit not having enough staff there are no appointments available till March.

Until then, all we can do is read on the internet and try our best to work with him in a way that doesn't exasabate his behaviours.

Hearing that other children do this makes me feel a little better about my Ds

PolterGoose Thu 06-Feb-14 18:22:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Goldmandra Thu 06-Feb-14 19:14:57

No dx but DS and I going to doctors to get referred as both think it's not quite right.

Consider going on your own so you can speak freely without worrying about the impact of your words on him.

mummyjules8 Thu 06-Feb-14 20:05:18

Celestae yes it is nice to be in touch with others, definitely helps to know you are not the only one out there. I haven't seen most of my mummy friends lately. I just can't face any questions until I know what's going on myself.....so hanging around with family and close friends.

That's tough about the appointment. We got a referral letter on tuesday from the doctors, and appointment is a week on Thursday.

Does your DS get totally exhausted when he has been doing it a lot? Mine is practically begging me to go to bed at 6pm and doesn't get up til 8am. it makes him really tired out?

Anyway today we did some spinning around together whilst I held DS upside down and it was actually really nice to do it together....previously I have sat watching thinking OMG what is going on. I could only manage a few mins before I felt dizzy but it felt really good to be with him if that makes sense....and DS loved it. Am thinking of getting a trampoline for the garden too, as he loves it at my sister in laws.

Am going to get that book in the meantime. And will look at Blog thanks,
poltergoose.

mummyjules8 Thu 06-Feb-14 20:09:00

Ps yes golmandra that's good advice...we didn't take him to the doctors, but he is coming to the referral. Hopefully they will be sympathetic to that kind of thing since it's their specialty.

Celestae Fri 07-Feb-14 11:26:31

spinning around together sounds like good fun.

My ds is funny, today he was telling my DH about something he was quite excited about.. and is his usual style, the story was very long and drawn out and kept going in little circles. my DH picked his hands up and started dancing him around the kitchen. all the while. my little man kept on talking about exactly what he wanted to tell him. totally ignoring the fact that he was being puppetted into dancing.

its not all bad having a little boy who is different. sometimes it cheers you up because you can deffinately say they have their own individuality.

not sure why this is relevant, but it was a good thing to happen today, it cheered my morning right up smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now