Talk

Advanced search

Does hand sucking from 2 month old always mean hungry?

(8 Posts)
Hotmad Mon 03-Feb-14 17:43:29

My 2 month old used to be easy to know when she was starting to be hungry as she would root and suck hands and stick tongue out. Now she doesn't root anymore, she doesn't really stick her tongue out too much but she does suck her hand, sometimes I know she should be hungry but other times she does it after feeding, she doesn't want anymore of bottle, she also had reflux and does not like dummies!!

DameDeepRedBetty Mon 03-Feb-14 17:45:41

It's a comfort thing probably.

One of mine took to sucking her thumb, and no matter how often I replaced it with a dummy, the thumb would be back in whenever I next looked at her.

Petitealouette Mon 03-Feb-14 17:46:22

Could it be teething?

CoteDAzur Mon 03-Feb-14 17:46:23

"No" would be the answer to your question.

Babies like to suck. If she is hungry, you will know it from her cry.

purplemurple1 Mon 03-Feb-14 17:46:45

Mine sucked his thumb for comfort from birth so I don't think it is the clearest sign of hunger esp as they start to gum everything around 2 to 3 months.

nibbysmum Tue 04-Feb-14 09:41:59

In my experience ( with a now 4 month old) they suck for reasons other than hunger. Mine is always doing it. I don't really know why but he definitely isn't hungry. I go to baby massage and a lot of babies lie there happily sucking their hands too. These days we dont really have hunger cues. He's not as desperate to feed although he does occasionally go mad for his bottle! I feed him every 3.5hrs and he takes it or leaves it .. He's been like this since he was 11 weeks. I don't know if he's too busy or whether he's come to trust that he'll get a bottle every 3.5hrs! He cries for a bottle at night though!

Hotmad Tue 04-Feb-14 10:55:40

Can I just ask nibby how much does your 4 month old take at each 3.5 hr sitting?

nibbysmum Wed 05-Feb-14 06:41:55

Of course. He takes 6oz usually. I don't have to feed him more than once (usually!!!!) In a night so that's just where we are in day. Before bed and in middle of night he tends to have 2 8oz bottles x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now