Talk

Advanced search

how do i transfer my dd from moses basket to her cot ??? pls help

(21 Posts)
rockyroadahead Mon 03-Feb-14 11:09:50

DD is 4 months and a little chubby chops also tall and has grown out of her mosess basket but she is not at all happy about sleeping in her big girl cot
she goes to bed at 10pm after her play,bath , massage , feed etc and will go to sleep weather put down awake or asleep and sleeps 4-5 hours between feeds at night I spoke to the health visitor and she said that her bed time was too late but I don't see how it would matter as she knows no sense of time surely she will just sleep over a period of 24 hours .. I also have a 3 yr old ds who goes to bed at 8 so from 8-9.30 I spend with her playing, singing etc !! I tried putting her to bed at 8.ish for 3 days but she is just wide awake ...

NOW - in her cot when i put her down asleep she wakes up after 10 minis and screams but falls back to sleep if I hold her (the night before last i tried picking her up and putting her down 8 10 times before i just put her in my bed with me where she slept 4 hours 2-6am).
if i put her down awake she just screams straight away
I have also found she will sleep sound on the sofa (carefully supervised )

any body have any tips on how i can make this transfer more successful

she is also teething at the moment I think !

poorincashrichinlove Mon 03-Feb-14 11:11:43

Have you tried putting the moses basket in the cot?

Miggs28 Mon 03-Feb-14 11:24:35

I don't think your DD's bedtime is too late. My DS until he was about 6 months used to regularly stay up until 9.30/10pm he then slowly moved his bedtime forward without any pushing from us.

When we transferred him from his Moses basket to his cot we began placing his Moses basket in his cot so he got used to the height and location of the cot. Once this was ok we then took the Moses basket away. We also used sleeping bags for him which I think made him feel a lot more secure.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 03-Feb-14 11:28:33

I agree with moses basket in cot.

rockyroadahead Mon 03-Feb-14 11:33:03

My dp suggested that and i thought he was joking and made fun of him... he explained it as if i were transferring fish to a new tank .......i have a little bit of apologising to do ......

how long should i do this for ?

BackforGood Mon 03-Feb-14 11:33:58

I too was going to say basket into the cot.
Leave it like that until baby is too long for the basket

rockyroadahead Mon 03-Feb-14 11:35:08

miggs do u mean a gro bag.....

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 03-Feb-14 11:38:32

Yes. We started with naps in the basket in the cot so they would wake up and see where they were then transferred to cot in grobag after a few days.

frankietwospots Mon 03-Feb-14 11:54:35

Agree that grobags are great for helping the transition as I think they feel more secure. You can pick up some really good ones in TK Maxx.

rockyroadahead Mon 03-Feb-14 12:02:56

The basket is now in the cot!!!! although she is currently asleep on the sofa and has been since 10am while I sit on the floor and google/mumsnet

we have been using gro bag its the winter one 2.5 tog .. what temperature should the room be when she is in this? we usually have it around 20-21 deg and would u recommend long or short sleeved vest under her baby grow?

HauntedNoddyCar Mon 03-Feb-14 12:23:23

We always used a long sleeved vest. Added pyjama trousers if very cold.

Can't remember what room temp but my dc seem to be warm all the time so just went with whatever temp it was. 2.5 tog in winter and a 1 in summer. If really hot then no vest.

Miggs28 Mon 03-Feb-14 16:04:33

Bliss a 2hr nap! wink We have the room temp at 21 degrees (but it does feel colder than this In the room) and have DS in a 2.5 grobag with a long sleeved vest and sleepsuit.

Good luck with tonight!

Jaclyneyre84 Mon 03-Feb-14 16:15:42

we put our little man in his moses basket in the cot for about a month from around 4 months old, then took away the moses basket. the first 2 night were horrible, crying constantly and only settling on mummy or daddy and we couldn't put him back down! so we tried controlled crying - I was always against this and didn't want t do it, but 2 night of 1-2 hours crying (not full blown more whimpering!) and he now loves it. sleeps better through the night, sometimes for longer and now can settle himself during the day. hope this helps x

Doubletroublemummy2 Tue 04-Feb-14 00:06:27

I might be poopoed on this one but have you considered introducing a bed time routine. Things may be easier if she has a set routine and doesn't fall asleep on the sofa, especially at bed time. The other thing I did was to not pick her up. rather stayed and patted or rubbed her back until she fell asleep. Yes you will have a few (many, like a week at least) nights of screaming baby but eventually she will accept it is bed time and this is bed. not to side with the HV but if you did put her to bed earlier then at least the screaming would end before midnight and asumming your 3 yr old is starting school next year, you may want the extra time to spend with her (not a critism, just a thought)

nibbysmum Tue 04-Feb-14 10:20:52

We did the moses basket in cot thing for a fortnight when lo was 10 weeks old. He hadn't outgrown it yet but I was panicking about the transition and wanted to do it over Christmas when I could hack sleepless nights (partner home and family around to help!). At 12 weeks we did it and he had 3 God awful nights then he decided he liked it! For some reason he likes it better to sleep on his back positioned diagonally rather than straight. I think its because he likes to reach out and touch the bars. We've noticed when he sleeps he likes having his hand touching something which I think comes from the moses basket sides always been reachable.

rockyroadahead Thu 06-Feb-14 10:28:38

so the mosses basket is in the cot but we have a slightly new problem as she wakes up every single hour to be fed .. and is not feeding much in the day..i am not sure if this is because she is teething and its hurting to suck ... she is BF exclusive and wont drink from a bottle which is a whole different problem..

I have tried not picking her up but she becomes completely hysterical also I am worried she is too young for this/ teething and when I pick her up she seems completely ravenous I feed her and she feeds for a couple of mins and then wont feed any longer..

any suggestions

HazleNutt Thu 06-Feb-14 13:51:39

4 month sleep regression. We had that, beautifully sleeping DS durned into hourly waking and feeding one..

SoonToBeSix Thu 06-Feb-14 13:56:56

10pm is not too late, babies are supposed to sleep in the same room as you all the time until age six months. I imagine you don't want to go to bed at 7.30.

rockyroadahead Thu 06-Feb-14 16:44:54

hazlenut what did u do??

HazleNutt Thu 06-Feb-14 19:50:47

sure you want to know? grin
Nothing, he's 7 months and still waking several times per night. It must pass at some point..I hope..

altogetherwonderful Thu 06-Feb-14 20:03:36

I just saw a repeat episode of Baby Whisperer Tracy Hogg who was helping a mum with a 3mth old who wanted the boob constantly and wouldn't settle anytime

Her solution went like this:
-give baby a good full feed from both sides (so you know she's full & can then rule out her need to suck for hunger)
- lay baby in Moses basket awake for about 5/10mins
- when baby shows grizzly signs of tiredness in there (jerky movements, grimacing etc) swaddle baby while still in the basket
- lift baby out when wrapped (baby will keep crying) hold baby up to you shoulder & shush pat to settle
- dim the lights
- insert dummy if using
- maintain calm inner mother presence gringringringringringringrin
- continue to shush pay rhythmically & slowing down
- lay baby down

It took 17 mins the first time

Within 3 days it was sorted!

I'm hoping to do this for our soon to be born Dc3

HThgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now