Talk

Advanced search

When does a baby become a toddler?

(14 Posts)
MummyKnight Fri 31-Jan-14 00:11:31

My LO is 14.5 months and she's not walking on her own yet. She cruises and sometimes walks holding on to 1 finger. It's as if she lacks the confidence to take those first steps without holding on. In my mind she's not a toddler until she does that. When do you think a baby becomes a toddler?

Thanks grin

noisytoys Fri 31-Jan-14 00:31:07

When it toddles. DD1 was 20months, DD2 was 11 months.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Fri 31-Jan-14 00:39:25

Sounds like you've got a teetering-on-the-brink-toddler!

Have fungrin

rootypig Fri 31-Jan-14 00:43:38

When they start screaming in objection to everything you do? hmm

For 15mo DD this fairly neatly coincided with walking at 12-13mo. She is DC1 and I was so unprepared for my baby to disappear!

MiaowTheCat Fri 31-Jan-14 08:52:47

DD1 was a toddler long before she could walk (she did walk late though) - in terms of temperament and ability to be utterly outraged by the most bonkers things.

DD2 is at the cruising and thinking about walking stage very very early - no way toddler like in her temperament yet!

Our children's centre uses 18 months as the starting point of toddler group as opposed to baby group... but DD2 gets dragged along there at 10 months and fits in better there than with the babies!

MyNameIsKenAdams Fri 31-Jan-14 08:55:54

When they start to toddle. Dd Was 14mo and went from stumbling to walking within a week. I was shock.

Now, at 2.2, she doesnt seem like a toddler any more.

It went so fast sad

Bumpsadaisie Fri 31-Jan-14 11:58:56

When they start shrieking "nooooooooooo"! Enjoy your DD while it lasts ....

Loubyloulou88 Fri 31-Jan-14 22:41:42

I think 'technically speaking' (according to wiki!) children are known at toddlers between the ages of 1 and 3, but I agree with the above, I class it as when they start to learn the ability to protest!! DS has just turn 1, and is cruising with us really well, but has the attitude of a 2 year old ha!

ikeaismylocal Sat 01-Feb-14 11:37:32

I think they start to be a toddler when they have opinions about things and communicate those opinions.

Ds walked at 10 months but he was very much still a baby, he had very little hair, he still breastfed often, was wasn't very big, I still dressed him in ( footless) babygrows.

I'd have ds cuddled up on my knee feeding and when he was finished I'd put him down and he'd walk off, people were often amazed to see him walk as they assumed he was 6ish months.

MummyKnight Sat 01-Feb-14 19:16:28

Thanks for the advice everyone. DD is definitely opinionated and let's you know what she wants however as she isn't 'toddling' yet she's still a baby! grin I can't believe how fast it goes though! People told me when I was pregnant that the time would fly but I didn't think it would go this fast!

HugAndRoll Sat 01-Feb-14 19:29:31

My ds2 is hypermobile and as such isn't walking at 21 months. I would still consider him to be a toddler, he certainly isn't a baby.

Ratfinkle Sat 01-Feb-14 20:43:45

I always think it's when they get a proper haircut! Not v scientific grin

MummyKnight Thu 13-Feb-14 23:02:27

Ok my DD is a toddler now, she took her first solo steps this evening!!! grin

toomuchtooold Fri 14-Feb-14 07:08:53

I like the idea of it being when they start to protest. In that case, my twins stopped being toddlers at about 14 and 15 months - I remember the morning at the children's centre playgroup when one wobbled off and I picked up the other one and she kicked her legs in protest. I was like, wow, you have a preference! Now, at 21 months, we can spend 10 minutes at the door negotiating over hats and shoes so that the two of them are clothed to their satisfaction... so many, many preferences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now