Talk

Advanced search

Dry at Night?

(14 Posts)
BeCool Wed 29-Jan-14 13:54:24

I think I may never have to buy nappies again!! <fingers crossed>

DD1 is 6 and until recently wore pullups at night - until she started getting a rash from them and under advice from the doctor & enuresis nurse we stopped her wearing them. She was wet 5/7 but has since progressed over just a couple of months to being dry 6/7, bar the odd blip where she can be wet for several nights in a row. But I'm coping using the waterproof sheets etc.

DD2 is 2.5 and potty trained really quickly & well recently. Unlike her sister she seems to be dry most mornings smile and will wake and then have a big wee on the loo.

DD2 is still in nappies at night & I think my experience is clouded by DD1 as I had no expectation that DD2 could/would/might be dry at night.

Would you brave no nappies with DD2 once the current supply runs out? Is it a common situation for a 2-3yo to be dry at night and not wear nappies?

Cuppaplease Wed 29-Jan-14 14:06:12

Two of mine were without nappies at night at that age, one at 2.5, one nearer to 3. I just presumed that as they were dry in the day they would stay dry at night too. We had a few wet beds but they got the hang of it really quickly.

I used to make the bed with a washable bed mat under the sheet, then put another washable mat on top, and another fitted sheet over the top. If they had an accident, just stripped layer one off and they were straight back into bed with minimum fuss.

And they had a potty next to the bed on a waterproof mat too, just in case. Good luck!

headoverheels Wed 29-Jan-14 14:09:37

DS1 was dry at night age 6. DD was dry at night age 2 - basically as soon as she was dry in the day - and has never wet the bed since then.

BeCool Wed 29-Jan-14 14:09:48

DD2 is still in bed with me but is moving to a bunk bed this weekend. It could be the perfect time to go nappy free.

BeCool Wed 29-Jan-14 14:10:14

ooh head it could be me too grin

Cuppaplease Wed 29-Jan-14 14:15:13

It's worth a try! If she's dry most mornings I would, it sounds like she's ready

headoverheels Wed 29-Jan-14 14:18:26

Good luck OP!

BeCool Wed 29-Jan-14 14:22:18

Will give it a go this weekend - it's amazing how 'clouded' my thinking re DD2 has been by DD1's experience!

BeCool Tue 18-Feb-14 14:44:40

just popping back to say DD2 has done brilliantly and has been dry at night all month.

One day we got home early evening and she was asleep in car and was put to bed - she was wet that night and was really upset about it bless her. Next time I will ensure she sits on potty before hand.

DD1 (now 6) is doing much better too and we are down to about one wet night a week with her (though we had 5 nights in a row in January).

LJBanana Tue 18-Feb-14 14:54:51

I'm in the same boat. My ds1 (5) still wets at night and has to be lifted etc, where as ds2(3) was dry at night from the word go with dry in the day.
He's been dry both day and night for about 7 months. I think I put a nappy on him at night twice and it was dry so I just went for it.
I wish ds1 was a little more reliable as now he's in a top bunk the 'lifting' is a little tricky-especially with a 37 week baby bump. But he'll get there.

BeCool Tue 18-Feb-14 15:31:59

I don't lift DD1 and was advised against it. I tried it for about a week aged 4 and it didn't make any difference at all.

Best thing that works for her is no drinks after about 6.30, and we talk lots about being dry, and going to loo last thing at night etc - all in a very positive way. Brought her focus and attention to it.

I have to say I think perhaps the biggest motivator was her baby sister being dry. I was dreading DD1 taking this badly, but she sees it as a challenge.

LJBanana Tue 18-Feb-14 18:24:07

He just gets into such a deep sleep. He mostly wakes just before getting up time mid flow, but sometimes we go in to check on them and he has wet the bed, so it's not always a specific time he's doing it.
He doesn't seem bothered that the little one is dry, he does sometimes get upset though even though I don't make a big fuss over it.

TallulahMcFey Tue 18-Feb-14 20:48:03

My first child was about 6 and a half before she was dry at night (though dry without any problems at 2years 3 months). My second was dry during day and night (both happened together) and 2 years 3 months. My 3rd was dry during day at 2 years 6 months and during the night about a month later. Like you, having had problems with my first, was reluctant to take nappies/pull-ups off my second child at night as didn't want wet beds but we went to stay at my mother in laws house at that time and she took charge. She slept by the bathroom and heard my daughter go in there and dealt with her and they were her beds - so I agreed! We never had any wet beds. I was also a bit reluctant with my 3rd but after lots of dry pull ups, had to take the plunge with the same result. I've realised that they are all different and it is quite normal to be dry at night when 2 or 3 - and it is normal if your child isn't dry.

BeCool Wed 19-Feb-14 11:32:22

6yo was wet last night.
She sleeps so heavily too - it is hard to wake her if she isn't ready for it. She could sleep through a bomb.

I layer her bed up and she is great now at stripping a wet layer off (by herself) and going back to sleep.

2yo was sleeping standing up last night smile
I went into check on her and she was standing up with her head on the bed fast asleep smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now