Talk

Advanced search

Thumb sucking

(10 Posts)
SpecialHandsMummy Fri 08-Nov-13 20:26:57

My dh and I both sucked out thumbs when little. In fact, I sucked mine till I was 10! If your lo sucks their thumb, what age did they start? Our dd is 2.10 and doesn't. Does that mean she never will?

YouAreMySunShine271 Fri 08-Nov-13 20:33:14

My DD is a thumb sucker already and she is 14 weeks but it started a few weeks ago! smile

workingonitagain Fri 08-Nov-13 21:24:22

my ds started after he turned 3 and started pre school. I think he is a bit of a nervous type and before he started sucking his thumb he chewed on his t shirt then swapped to sucking thumb. for about 6 month he sucked it during the day when he was at home and had his comfort blanket with him then one day I told him he can only have his blanket during sleep time and so he now only does it when he is in bed with his blanket but hoping that it won't last forever!

Definitelynomore Fri 08-Nov-13 21:32:52

I was little miss smug about dd not having a dummy (her choice) then she started sucking her thumb at 2y 6m. It took a lot of bribery and corruption as well as a couple of setbacks but she's now 'clean' at 5y 6m! Even so, I never think it won't happen again!

breatheslowly Fri 08-Nov-13 21:46:07

DD started at about 3 mo and was a very "sucky" baby from the start - always wanting to suck my little finger. DH sucked his thumb until he was 8.

BraveLilBear Mon 11-Nov-13 13:04:11

My DS is 16 weeks and has been sucky from the start - great for breastfeeding but we had to cave and offer a dummy by the third day. He still has that if he needs it to sleep during the day (and my boobs aren't available for whatever reason) but he now seems to prefer sucking his thumb - or DH's finger.

I sucked my thumb into my 30s - though only at home from school age - and only at night as an adult and it's had no negative affects on me. My teeth are perfectly aligned (apart from vampire canines but that's irrelevant) and I was an early and very good talker.

How worried should I be about DS' s new habit? Is it because I'm breastfeeding and he's got used to sucking for comfort?

mawbroon Mon 11-Nov-13 13:12:11

DS2 started to suck his thumb at a few weeks old. Every time I saw him doing it, I offered him the breast.

It stopped the thumb sucking in it's tracks.

Pootles2010 Mon 11-Nov-13 13:15:32

My ds is the same Brave - except he won't take the dummy, never has. He's still sucking his 2 fingers now, and he's three. Trying to wean him off it before school, fingers crossed!

Incidentally I still suck my thumb at home blush, how did you stop?

BraveLilBear Mon 11-Nov-13 14:24:14

Mine is showing signs of going off the dummy... he mostly sucks his thumb when he's overtired in the day and getting him to sleep is often torture (different thread lol).

Pootles I never really wanted to stop but when I met DP I stopped having my blanket blush and the habit fizzled out. I use DP for comfort instead lol. The blanket was great - one of my original set from birth that I rubbed in my fingers in a certain way... <yes I'm weird but I never smoked or comfort ate so think I had the best approach! >

Jobates Sun 09-Feb-14 22:21:20

Thanks to Thumbsie our 5yr old daughter no long sucks her thumb, she had done since she was 3 so we never thought it would work. before that she had a dummy. Our middle daughter also had a dummy but when we took it away she just gave up. Lots of different materials and she enjoyed wearing them www.thumbsie.co.uk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now