Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Friend's 5 year old boy is throwing tantrums on the school run

(8 Posts)
katyr9 Tue 23-Jul-13 21:37:23

Help - I share the school run with my friend. Her son regularly throws a tantrum. Luckily my son rarely behaves in this way and if he does I show zero tolerance - I am firm, make him understand that his behaviour is unacceptable, and then ignore it. Can I treat my friend's son in the same way? His behaviour is making the journey to school miserable as if he doesn't get his own way, he screams. My friend knows he has behavioural problems but is very gentle with him and just seems baffled.
Advice very gratefully accepted!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Jul-13 22:20:38

Have exactly the same issue with my friends brat dd. I just treat her like I treat my own. Don't think she likes it but its just tough. Her mum is very soft on her too and her dad just laughs if she misbehaves...

Gruntfuttocks Tue 23-Jul-13 22:23:13

Definitely just treat him the same way you do your own son - otherwise you will confuse your kid. He will get the message eventually. Ultimately, you may have to make other arrangements if you can't stand his ghastly behaviour. What is he having tantrums about? Is there a specific issue, or is he just testing the waters?

katyr9 Wed 24-Jul-13 08:23:06

Thanks so much, that's a huge help. He tantrums for no reason, just if things aren't going his way - wrong cd, wrong snack etc. Maybe things will improve after the summer!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 25-Jul-13 07:48:56

Think you are just going to have to ignore his tantrums and maybe make other arrangements if its too much to handle.

Back2Two Thu 25-Jul-13 07:55:44

When he's in your care...it is your rules.

I will be strict and assertive with other people's children and generally they respond well. I've been told " you're not my mummy" etc and I just tell them I am the boss!

SwishSwoshSwoosh Thu 25-Jul-13 07:59:03

Why are you taking him? I would just say it isn't possible anymore as you can't handle the tantrums.

Kiwiinkits Thu 25-Jul-13 08:41:50

What's causing the tantrum do you think? Has he had breakfast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now