Talk

Advanced search

16mo biter!

(6 Posts)
Boofuls Tue 16-Jul-13 09:37:43

Anyone else got a little biter? My DS is usually such a sweet and happy boy but he's recently developed a nasty little biting habit. I think at the moment it is just me he is biting and it started as an affectionate thing but he's now biting harder and for a whole variety of reasons. As I type this I am looking at several sets of red teeth marks in the back of my hand which were the result of me stopping him from climbing out of the window this morning!

Any tips? I keep telling him "No biting" but he doesn't seem phased by it.

ChocChaffinch Tue 16-Jul-13 10:20:13

my ds bit on and off; believe me it is beyond mortifying if he bites another kid at softplay/ nursery, you need to try and wean him out of it;
I tapped his mouth and absolutely yelled NO! and it shocked him when he bit me, he was about 2 when he took a serious chunk out of his sister
so they kind of go through phases with it, but ensure your response is consistent, ie. biting is unacceptable!

NothingsLeft Tue 16-Jul-13 12:01:44

My DS goes through stages of this, mostly when he's teething or hungry.

Could it be teeth related?

superchick Tue 16-Jul-13 22:26:16

My DD has recently stopped doing this at 2. She only ever bit me and her dad and it was usually in play and being affectionate. I think she was confused between biting and kissing for a while and then liked experimenting with the various reactions she got. Sometimes she would say "no biting" and then go in for a big chomp at the same time! I think consistency was the only thing for it in the end. A firm "no" and clear disapproval. Also the end of the game or the fun for that moment (ie a negative consequence). She then discovered pinching, scratching, poking etc but has grown bored of making mummy scream in pain now thank goodness. Hopefully anyway.

superchick Tue 16-Jul-13 22:26:58

Also it was a lot worse when she was tired.

NothingsLeft Wed 17-Jul-13 10:53:36

Tiredness makes it worse for us too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now