Talk

Advanced search

DD did a No 2 in the bath and is now scared to get back in it

(15 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 06-Jun-06 20:00:10

DD (15 months) did a poo in the bath last night, the third time in about a week although she's never done it before. Last night it popped out to the front and so she saw it and even though DS (5) and I were really cool about it she freaked, screamed and tried to climb out. I showered her off and thought nothing more of it until tonight when i tried to put her in the bath and she was sobbing, trying to climb out again and quite inconsolable. It must be connected dont you think? Any ideas how to proceed? She has always absolutely loved her bathtime with DS up until now.

TIA

EmmyLou Tue 06-Jun-06 20:09:35

Might be a daft question, but had she ever actually seen a poo before? My dd3 (2 and a half) pooed in the bath a few months ago and was a bit upset but she was old enough for us to anthropomorphise (?) her poo and (sorry - cannot beleive the things I end up writing on here) talk about how being in the bath and not a loo or nappy must have suprised it etc. My guess is that its the unexpectedness thats upset her.

Would she freak in a paddling pool d'you think?

mckenzie Tue 06-Jun-06 20:58:19

She's seen her poo in the bath before but it's always been little bits of it as it seems to fragment in the water but last night it was a proper little log and it was sort of poking out from between her legs which might have added to her fright. Bless her, she was just sobbing buckets.

edam Tue 06-Jun-06 21:01:20

Oh bless. Ds used to do this a LOT (yuck) but fortunately never bothered him, only us! I guess just lots of reassurance/acting really over-excited about her toys? Or maybe you could try getting in with her (if you want to risk it!).

FrannyandZooey Tue 06-Jun-06 21:02:56

I am sorry for your dd's trauma, but I have the urge to confess I am finding this thread and especially the title deeply funny

fairyfly Tue 06-Jun-06 21:05:13

I wouldn't make a big deal of it, my eldest just said he was scared in bed, i said.... it's not even dark, who you scared of me or your brother, we wont hide under your bed and eat you, he laughed and went back to sleep.

BudaBabe Tue 06-Jun-06 21:06:07

Reminds me of my nephew - first time hes saw his willie - he got scared and tried to run away from it!!!

mckenzie Tue 06-Jun-06 21:07:26

just re-read the title FandZ - I see what you mean!

I think I might put DS in first tomorrow night Edam and let him get lots of toys out and be having fun before I try and put DD in. I so hope we can get her to be okay again as she and DS usually have an absolute ball in the bath (and I love watching them).

mckenzie Tue 06-Jun-06 21:08:02

Budababe - can imagine that was quite funny for anyone watching your nephew, poor him though.

FrannyandZooey Tue 06-Jun-06 21:08:53

Sorry mckenzie

it was your post with the description of it being a "proper little log" as well, I am soooo immature

FrannyandZooey Tue 06-Jun-06 21:12:04

On a more helpful note, have you still got your old baby bath and might she like to have a bath in there for a while till she gets over it? I would change something really dramatic like put those colour tablets in the water so it's pink, or let her wear a swim nappy in the bath, or anything you can think of that will really appeal to her, to surprise her and get her to try the bath.

Maybe just playing in it with her clothes on and no water in it if she will try that? I hope she forgets about it soon.

liath Tue 06-Jun-06 21:12:55

I have to confess to having a bit of a giggle too .

An empathetic giggle, though - dd is a champion at crapping in the bath to the extent that she only gets one a week if she's lucky & that's only if she's had a good poo after dinner. She seems remarkably unfazed by her gargantuan efforts (apart from the time she started straining so I whipped her out to hold her over the loo - gave her a hell of a fright AND the poo landed on the floor beside the loo anyway - grrr!).

liath Tue 06-Jun-06 21:14:13

Ooh - swim nappy! F&Z you are a genius!

EmmyLou Tue 06-Jun-06 21:34:04

Oh yes - get in the bath with them! I used to do this every night when my dds were pre-sitting and still do so sometimes for a laugh. DD2 is very good at washing my feet for me and gives the best back scratches too. DD1 alas, is above such shenannigins now but dd3 often asks me to join her. Would be a great distraction for your LO, you just have to react quicky and appropriately should any more little poo logs pop forth!

TooTicky Tue 06-Jun-06 21:44:16

I assume you've changed the water
(my ds2 used to poo in the library every week, in his pants...didn't put him off libraries though!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: