Talk

Advanced search

Referred to a pediatrisian please help!!

(7 Posts)
Georgebooboo Mon 15-Jul-13 17:08:23

Hi, my nine month old little boy has been seen by the physio today and is being referred. She said he has low muscle tone in his neck and core and wants him checked out. He rolls onto his front and lifts his head but can't sit and his head is wobbly. As u can imagine I'm panicking there's something really wrong and the Internet makes everything worse. Can I please have any advice from anyone who's been where I am x

I've been where you are... and it's scary and upsetting and worrying and, and it's ok to be all of those things.

Stay away from Google ..always the worst imaginable problems, and see what the Paediatrician says. He/she may want to run a few tests, (basic blood tests, possibly an MRI) to rule out anything obvious. He/she will also want to do a pretty thorough history.. how was pregnancy, birth, any family history of late development etc.

After that it's probably a bit of wait and see. There are a LOT of problems that cause floppy muscle tone. A few are serious. The majority are not, and the majority if children make good progress in their own time. How is your little boy otherwise? Is he alert (so a purely physical delay) or are there concerns with his learning , social skills?

My DS2 was a floppy baby. Floppy from birth, didn't smile til he was one (or sit) didn't make eye contact either, didn't babble. Didn't do much at all to be honest. We had every test going, and I was heartbroken and worried sick.

16 years down the line if I could go back and give myself one piece of advice, it would be 'stop panicking, what will be will be, and whatever the outcome it will be ok. He will be ok and so will you' (Hindsight is a wonderful gift!) Because whether the issue is a mild low tone, improve over time one, or something more significant, worrying yourself sick won't change the outcome, but a calm clear head so you can ask the paed questions, push for tests, push for physio etc, is far more useful.

Incidentally my DS2 did turn out to have some long term problems, but he is walking, talking, delightfully loving and sometimes very typical teen now!!

Georgebooboo Mon 15-Jul-13 18:15:41

Thanks for replying.. As far as everything else goes he's doing well. Babbling away, holding and playing with toys and smiling. They were more than happy with everything else just his muscle tone. I had a cvs test when I was pregnant which turned out normal so I was hoping most serious problems would have been highlighted during that but who knows .. Fingers crossed xx

DeWe Tue 16-Jul-13 09:27:18

I knew someone who had what was termed a "floppy baby". Just low muscle tone-nothing else wrong at all, except slow speech-but everything had completely evening out by 4yo.
She has told to do a lot of swimming, which apparently is good for muscle tone.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 16-Jul-13 21:43:42

Lovely post Medusa. DeWe I know someone exactly the same. Worried herself half mad and by the time he started school he was on a level with every other child in the class.

Georgebooboo Wed 17-Jul-13 17:15:10

Thank u for your replies , got him booked in tomorrow x

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 17-Jul-13 19:53:13

Hope everything goes well george.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now