Talk

Advanced search

My 3 year old daughters problems

(13 Posts)
Lushaddict Sun 04-Jun-06 13:28:56

Hello, Im new one here and wondered if anyone could offer some advice. My daughter has is suffering from a urinary tract infection and has been on medicine for 2.5 days. She seems to be much better and doesn't need the toilet for long periods now but we have a problem. She's reluctant to go out and I've just been out for a walk with her to try and coax her round but as soon as we got to the shops she started screaming and saying she wanted to wee, pulling her shorts down in the shop. In the space of 10 minutes she wee'd 3 times thou nothing was really coming out. We had to get her dad to collect us and get us home quickly, even though she'd walked down there fine with no problems. She does suffer with irrational fears and our concern now is that this will drag on and we won't be able to get her out anywhere, a problem as it's back to nursery and grandparents this week.
If anyone could offer any advice Id greatly appreciate it as I'm beginning to feel so stressed and helpless.
Thanks.

mears Sun 04-Jun-06 13:33:24

Still eraly days in the treatment of her UTI. I would keep her at home near a toilet for a couple of more days at least. She may also be scared about having the burning sensation that she will have had already. Don't think her behaviour demonstrates an irrational fear - I think you are expecting too much TBH

LIZS Sun 04-Jun-06 13:59:31

Are you getting her to drink lots of water nad perhaps diluted cranberry juice which should help it sting less. How long a course of ab's does she have , they may not have taken full effect yet. Also try to distract her with activities and not talk about it and fan any underlying problem.

Lushaddict Sun 04-Jun-06 14:11:50

I didn't neccesarily mean this was an irrational fear, I was just trying to offer an insight to her usual behavior. She does have irrational fears and it's something that has been discussed in depth with her doctor.Yes, she's drinking lots of water and her medication should last for a week. My concern is she's associating being outside with wanting to wee, whereas inside the house it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

vkone Sun 04-Jun-06 14:13:59

You don't mention how old she is, but it maybe the time to teach her some "cystitus rules" so that it doesn't happen again. I was prone to this but picked up a booklet at a Drs and have followed the rules ever since and not had any recurrence of it or the horrible bout of UTI I had.

I'd check to see if your dr has one of these but the basics were:
* Sit up on the loo, dont't lean forward
* wipe front to back
* always completely empty your bladder (this maybe why she's freaking out and producing little drops)
* do your pelvic floor exercises (maybe abit too young for that, but it won't hurt to explain them)
* drink lots af water (if you get cystitus then cranberry and orange juice mixed is good as it is slightly acidic)

* there is also the adult one which we won't go into here

vkone Sun 04-Jun-06 14:15:45

sorry just saw the title, can you explain pelvic floors to a 3 yr old? I suppose you could when she's better and explain about stopping and starting weeing Hmmm

fondant4000 Mon 05-Jun-06 16:09:35

Whenever I've had cystitis, I often find it's OK at home, especially if warm, but often the pain is worse outside.

So I'm OK at home, but have to take the day off work.

I think that's is normal physically to be worse outside, and your daughter might actually be telling the truth.

Let her finish the course, and then go back to the doctor's if she's still saying it hurts. It doesn't always clear up just like that.

fondant4000 Mon 05-Jun-06 16:12:09

Oops, forgot to say, it might have been the walk that made her bladder feel cold and hence need to wee, and so the pain.

Also, with cystitis, the pain is actually worst when there is nothing left to pee. That's why it's so horrible, 'cos you feel desperate to go, but there's nothing there!

Lushaddict Mon 05-Jun-06 16:15:54

An update...she hasn't passed water since lunchtime yesterday so we've been at the hospital most of the day.We have to take her back in a couple of hours and they're going to sedate her to try to relax her enough to wee or they're going to put a catheter in.The doctors confirmed what we thought,she's terrified of now passing water.
It's going to be a horrible evening and I wish I could go through it for her.

Uwila Mon 05-Jun-06 17:42:21

Oh my. Best of luck to you and her.

vkone Mon 05-Jun-06 21:05:03

Oh your poor little girl, how horrible, I hope this clears soon and she feels better

Aero Mon 05-Jun-06 21:17:40

Oh the poor wee pet, and poor you too. My dd has suffered with recurrant UTI's, so I sympathise. She has also been afraid of the pain of passing urine when affected, but not so much as to stop her going at all. Oh you do have my sympathy and I hope she recovers fully and gets back to normal very soon.

Lushaddict Mon 05-Jun-06 22:29:53

Thank you all for your kind words,it means alot to me.Well, we didn't have to go back to hospital.We put her in a warm bath but she screamed as her tummy was hurting that much.Her dad hauled her out and sat her on the loo and amid much screaming a flood of wee appeared!!She was as shocked as us!It didn't hurt but she's resisted the loo for the rest of the evening and said "it's going to hurt" but after much wailing and coaxing she's been another couple of times.I'm expecting much of the same tomorrow but(after the last 3 days)Im sure we'll cope.

We do have to go back to the hospital as she'll need a scan to check her kidneys as the original infection teamed with not weeing for nearly 28 hours could've done some damage but we're just SO HAPPY she can have a good nights sleep(and us!)..the 1st since Friday.

I have cried so blinkin' much these last few days and have just had a large glass of wine.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: