Talk

Advanced search

8 month old not sitting

(11 Posts)
ButchCassidy Tue 02-Jul-13 12:20:03

DS is now 8 months
He can roll (only mastered this in the last 5 weeks) but can only sit for approx 10 seconds.

DD was very quick to do everything but am trying not to compare them.

HV didnt seem overly concerned at his 7 month checkup but Im just a bit worriedshockshock

ballroomblitz Tue 02-Jul-13 12:29:47

Ds couldn't sit until ten months. I saw a paed with him (other issues) and they weren't worried about it at all. Said that because he could get about crawling, he had no interest in sitting still.

I wouldn't worry just yet. Yes every child is different, my dd surprises me at how quickly she does things compared to my how my more relaxed ds was.

ButchCassidy Tue 02-Jul-13 12:32:00

Thanks smile.

cooper44 Tue 02-Jul-13 19:38:59

there was a thread here the other day on exact same thing I think.
ds2 almost nine months and I think he started sitting just before 8 month mark so I wouldn't worry.
then once he started he was so confident very very quickly. I don't think it's so late.

Doitnicelyplease Tue 02-Jul-13 19:54:24

My DD2 was not sitting until she was 8 months, she has been pretty 'late' on most of her physical developmental milestones, but she is doing fine.

We finally have crawling which she mastered a week after her first birthday - compare that to my DD1 who walked a week after her first birthday (and was crawling well at 6 months).

They are all different, but I have been there and it is easy to worry when you see all the other babies moving ahead.

TallulahBetty Tue 02-Jul-13 19:59:01

My DD didn't sit til 8 months. Also didn't crawl til 12 months or walk til 15 months. Some kids are slower than others, but they get there in the end.

Remember that for there to be an average, there must be kids at either end of the scale.

leobear Tue 02-Jul-13 20:05:59

What is the "normal" range for sitting?

TallulahBetty Tue 02-Jul-13 20:58:52

I think it might be 5-10 months? Don't quote me.... I did look it up when DD was refusing to sit, but it was a year ago blush

leobear Tue 02-Jul-13 21:27:27

My DD is 6 months, and rolls really well both ways, plus weight bears really well, but will not sit! For some reason I thought they were expected to sit by 6 months, but I just made that up. I can't seem to find a range online.

ButchCassidy Wed 03-Jul-13 13:24:22

Thanks for the replies :-)

MiaowTheCat Wed 03-Jul-13 13:38:20

I think the lower age for it is 5 months - sticks in my mind for some reason. DD1 wasn't sitting to the point where you'd be confident stepping away without her faceplanting until the 9 monthish mark and then a lot of stuff just clicked at once - rolling back to front, commandoing it up, crawling all came within about a 2 month period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now