Talk

Advanced search

FFFFFF - can't say F

(20 Posts)
MadamePlatypus Thu 01-Jun-06 10:07:51

DS is 2.6. I don't have any worries about his language in general, but he can't say 'F'. Does anybody know whether this is a common thing that children grow out of, or whether he will need extra help. He has knocked bits off both of his front teeth, so they aren't very long, and I think this may make it harder for him.

Piffle Thu 01-Jun-06 10:09:22

common AFAIK, not considered a delay until age 4
I know this as dd cannot say it and she has had SLT assessment, they use fronting
what does he use instead?

Whizzz Thu 01-Jun-06 10:09:53

I'm not expert but I think thats quite a common problem sound. DS is 5 and says F for TH which I am trying to rectify - that also is a very common mix up

oliveoil Thu 01-Jun-06 10:12:39

dd1 has problems with S, sounds like she has a lisp sometimes, but she is 3.6 so not sure if this will change

and her G's are sometimes B's

So Giraffe is Bgraffe or Gorilla is Bgrilla

<<we say, "say Gorilla" and she thinks and says "Monkey!" and giggles as if to say ha foxed you there mum>>

FlameBoo Thu 01-Jun-06 10:20:47

We have S for F here (and yet bizarrely F for "Cr"... Frispies etc...).

So she wants her shoes Oss, but wants to eat Frisps.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(3yrs)

juuule Thu 01-Jun-06 10:23:18

My dd says 'p' for 'c' as in "are you pumming" instead of "are you coming". There are other sounds not quite right,too but that is the most obvious. She will be 3 this month.

JackieNo Thu 01-Jun-06 10:25:18

Slightly differently, DD said 'Fewis' instead of 'Lewis' for one of her friends' names for ages - she was at least 3.5 when she started growing out of it. She's 6.5 now, and that's gone, but she still says 'thery' instead of 'very', even though she doesn't have a problem saying 'v'.

Pinotmum Thu 01-Jun-06 10:25:52

DD used to say P for F. At about 3 yo this corrected itself. She also used to say D for S. When she told people her name she would say Dopey

FlameBoo Thu 01-Jun-06 10:44:13

Thinking about it, I don't think DD can say "c" at all... We have frisps, misses (kisses), luggles (cuddles), and Japob (Jacob).

I'm assuming that again, its at least 4 before I'm meant to be concerned.

ShowOfHands Thu 01-Jun-06 10:58:08

Bf's dd says 'w' instead of 'f'. She has a wishing rod apparently (and I thought she meant a wand!)

paddingtonbear1 Thu 01-Jun-06 11:15:14

My dd has problems with S too and has a bit of a lisp. The health visitor said she may still grow out of it (she's nearly 3). Her favourite phrase is 'I'll do it' except she says 'My do it'!

SOULGIRL Thu 01-Jun-06 11:22:04

DS is 5 and cannot say F...but just as well really as one of his curse words comes out as SUCK (another kind addition to his vocabulary from Daddy)

MadameClarydeClary Thu 01-Jun-06 11:39:41

DS2 can't say F, he says D instead. OK except his name starts with F bless him! He's just 3 btw and speech coming on in leaps and bounds so I'm not worried at all.

MadamePlatypus Thu 01-Jun-06 12:43:35

thanks for all your replies

Madame CdeC, DS is exactly the same - he says D for F, and his name starts with an F too!

What is fronting Piffle?

singersgirl Thu 01-Jun-06 13:55:56

Never had a problem with 'f', but DS2, who will be 5 in August, has only in the last couple of months managed to say 'y' - before that everything was 'l', as in 'lummy lellow loghurt' or 'I love lou'.

I tried for a few months to show him how to make a 'y' sound and he just couldn't do it, so I stopped trying. And then lo and behold, from one day to the next, he just could.

So at 2.6 I wouldn't worry about it. By 5 most children have most speech sounds in place, with 'th' being one of the last for many, as late as 7 or 8. Weak 'r' that sounds like a 'w' is also common till around that age.

Jodee Thu 01-Jun-06 18:55:16

I would think if he just has problem with the one sound, it will sort itself out in time. DS (6) has been having SALT since nursery school, he couldn't sound out S, G, T, L, F, plus he blended sounds incorrectly (brama for grandma). He would use a T instead of S and F. He has come on really well, S's are OK at the end of words but he still struggles when at the beginning (poon for spoon)

He can now say his name, which was hard as it is a 4 letter word with 2 sounds he couldn't say.

Basically, the F sound has been the trickiest, SALT are working on this now, he couldn't say his age, he was "tour" then "tive", now it's "tix" ... I'm sure he will get there eventually, I just worry about it being picked up on by other kids as he gets older.

Sorry for the waffle and I hope that hasn't worried you unduly, I'm sure as I said at the beginning that just the one sound will sort itself out naturally.

Jodee Thu 01-Jun-06 18:56:25

... sorry - he couldn't sound out K, would put a T instead.

FloatingOnTheMed Thu 01-Jun-06 19:16:08

this has nothing to do with what dd can say but i bought her a football key ring the other day "It's a key ring, we can put some keys on it!" I told her. When we got home, she said "Get the peas! Put the peas on!" (She's 2.9) She was quite upset that I wasn't going to agree to getting the peas out of the freezer to stick them on her football!! pmsl.

I think the lesson from this is perhaps they don't always fully hear correctly either!

threebob Thu 01-Jun-06 19:19:42

Ds couldn't say f correctly at 2 and a half. Now the only one he can't do it "ll" in the middle of a word - so we get hewwo instead of hello, but he can say lock and ball correctly.

MadameClarydeClary Thu 01-Jun-06 22:39:39

actually floating you make a good point there.
DS1 (nearly 7) had a year of SALT at 5 as his Ks were always T and G was D (so "there's a tar going round the torner").
But the first thing the SALT established was that he knew fine well the difference between tea and key, even tho he said them the same.
That's the difference between 3yo and 5yo I reckon.
(Obv DS1 didn't say K at 3 either, but it was too early to worry IYSWIM).
His speech is much better now btw. Jodee I'm sure yr DS will improve too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: