Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping -Is This Normal?

(8 Posts)
LouisaJF Sat 22-Jun-13 11:24:47

I know I'll probably be shot down in flames for asking this but I've got to check.

DS is 14 months and has never been a terrific sleeper but he's been ok. When in his cot he is a terrible fidget and usually finishes up the wrong way around so about a month ago we introduced a small pillow to make him more comfortable. Since then we put him to bed between 7.30 and 8 and if left he will sleep till 10am. I realise this isn't something I should complain about but is this normal? Should I be concerned or I am just getting in practice for the teenage years? He still has a couple of hours of nap time in the day and is very happy and active the majority of the time.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 22-Jun-13 11:27:55

If he is bright and alert at times and meeting all of his milestones I wouldn't be too concerned. Sounds like it could be within the range of normal smile

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 22-Jun-13 16:59:23

I am with Jilted. As long as he's meeting his milestones, consider it a phase.

LouisaJF Sat 22-Jun-13 17:14:26

I don't really know what milestones he should be reaching. He's standing and toddling whilst holding something and is building his confidence in letting go. Not sure what else he should be achieving.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 22-Jun-13 17:45:44

They're all different aren't they but they're meant to be able to say a couple of words and enjoy games like hiding things and popping out on them...also to point at things they want such as a particular book or their drink. They should bring you things to share...toys etc.

LouisaJF Sat 22-Jun-13 17:52:25

He does all that apart from the words. He's got his own words for things but none that actually mean anything to us!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sat 22-Jun-13 18:12:47

I don't think you need to worry about that Louisa. Some wont talk much at just gone one. Others might have "mamma" and "bird" or something but not real conversations!

1Teaandsomecake Sat 22-Jun-13 18:21:29

My DD was the same and still is on and off. She's 2 now, but sometimes she'll have a week or so of long lie ins and then a couple of hours (sometimes3) in the afternoon. She is bright as a button and runs around etc as you would expect. I just take it to mean that she's developing her skills and needs to down time.

It used to worry me and I was on the verge of getting her checked out, but then she stopped with the mammoth afternoon snooze and went back to normal! Next time around I'm ready to enjoy the snooze phase while it lasts!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now