Talk

Advanced search

2.5 yr old suddenly scared stiff of noise?!

(8 Posts)
WazzaWoo Fri 21-Jun-13 16:25:21

My Dd has suddenly become absolutely petrified of noise ie lawn mover,drills, noisy cars etc. To the point of her clinging on to me
Screaming and not letting go!
Family/friends say it is just a phase, will
Mention to hv next time I go.
Anyone had the same experience? Am just worried it May be linked to something more worrying!

haloflo Fri 21-Jun-13 17:02:52

I'm sure it is just a phase if they haven't bothered her before. If you are making the noise (hairdryer, hoover) warn her & maybe do a time limit on it. I encourage my DD (2.2) to put her hands on her ears if its too loud. i do count down to noise too.

If external guess just the hands on ears thing and distraction?

Hth x

WazzaWoo Fri 21-Jun-13 17:08:06

Thanks, funnily enough the Hoover hairdryer is fine as she is used to those sounds but anything else (at all!!) she gets hysterical, hoping it is just a phase like the not eating, tantrums constantly! Throwing thingsOh the joys ha ha x

SarahValerie Sun 23-Jun-13 12:09:47

This sounds exactly like my DD (2.8) who started not "liking" running taps, then water noise of any sort, lawnmowers, hairdryers, TV, radio, any sort of music and now the washing machine too (she stops it and starts pulling the clothes out). This has developed over the past coupld of months. Tantrums all round and really wearing. Have got to the point where I have made a Dr appt to check things out. Yes people have said it is a phase which I sincerely hope is true since it is making doing anything so impossible and stressful. Let me know how you get on....

applecharlotte Sun 23-Jun-13 13:12:33

Hi - our DS is 2.5yo old and started this also, though not to the extend to tantrums thank goodness.Noisy cars, the blender, hand dryers, dogs barking all scare him now. None of which bothered him before. Wants to be picked up and carried if something zooms past us. I think their understanding of danger has suddenly developed. That noisy things might be a threat?

I just explain that he's safe, give him a cuddle and carry on.

applecharlotte Sun 23-Jun-13 13:13:11

Gosh so many mistakes in that post, sorry!

niceupthedance Sun 23-Jun-13 13:15:42

Yep, DS 2.5 and in the last fortnight has become scared of everything, particularly noises where he can't see what's making it (lawnmowers, diggers etc). Hand-driers are the worst, he's always hated those though. No advice just wanted to share our experience. Seems it's quite common...

sh77 Sun 23-Jun-13 16:46:42

I read that irrational fear is a normal phase between 2 and 3 following my 2.3 yr old ds's sudden fear of light bulbs. It is very odd!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now