Talk

Advanced search

Question about ds1 and buggy/walking etc... hope this is the right place to put ot!

(21 Posts)
mustrunmore Fri 26-May-06 22:49:55

Ds1 is 2 1/2. He will sit in the front of the double buggy quite happily if we're shopping, asks to walk if we're going to the park or just up the road, and will hold onto the buggy as requested 95% of the time.Occasionally he gets a bit over excited, pretends to be a train, forgets, and speeds off ahead, but stops when I ask him to, and waits.
But once he gets tired, he goes into a major strop.. cant blame him really, as its no fun walking when you're knackered, and I cant carry him.. to heavy, and have the doulbe buggy to push, which is impossible with one hand.I went ot Chelsea today, with no buggy, just the baby in the papoose, and ds1 has a huge tantrum on King's Road, then fell asleep on the tube. Without my friend there I'd have been totally stuffed.She's such a lifesaver.

What do I do? How will he ever learn to not have a buggy if he still needs it when tired? I cant restrict myself to tiny trips out, esp when I need groceries etc. But I dont think he'd sit still on a seat to go thing. I would so love to not have a double buggy anymore. i wish we had a car to make life easier!! How long before he'll be able to walk?

Jasnem Fri 26-May-06 22:58:38

I was still using the double for long days out when dd1 was 3, and she's huge!
Seat to go worked for us (got it when she was about 2 1/2). She managed to sleep sitting on it.
I'd also recommend a wrist strap.

mustrunmore Fri 26-May-06 23:00:38

But Jas, do you really think he'd stay put on a seat to go,say, round Tescos? I cant help thinking that if he ralises he can just get off, he will! I wouldn't mind trying it if they weren't sooo expensive, even 2nd hand!

Jasnem Fri 26-May-06 23:02:53

Wrist strap.
Or put him in the buggy in Tescos and carry ds2?

Jasnem Fri 26-May-06 23:04:44

It is something you can easily sell on, even if you buy second hand, as well.
The seat to go, not the wrist strap.

Jasnem Fri 26-May-06 23:04:44

It is something you can easily sell on, even if you buy second hand, as well.
The seat to go, not the wrist strap.

tortoise Fri 26-May-06 23:06:26

i had a seat to go for dd1 now 3.she loved to stand or sit on it.She walks almost all the time now and i got fed up of wacking my ankles on it! I use small stroller for her when shes tired/grumpy and put dd2 1.10 in the back pack.

mustrunmore Fri 26-May-06 23:07:13

Suppose so about the resale.
Cant help feeling like using a wrist strap is admitting defeat, and also syingto him that he might aswell play up because I dont trust him to even get a chance.

mustrunmore Fri 26-May-06 23:09:03

tortoise.. I do a bit of swopping re who sits in the single buggy. But then you end up carrying a papoose, a hip seat, taking the stroller... it can all just get ridiculous. I just need to sort myself out into finding the right solution for us

Jasnem Fri 26-May-06 23:10:13

I didn't actually use the wrist strap very often. Once dd1 knew I would if she didn't behave, the threat was enough.

OzJo Sun 28-May-06 05:09:25

Have you considered a kiddie board? Not sure what the official name for it is, but they're like a small board on wheels that attatches to the back of the pram/stroller, and the bigger child can get on/off at will. I have Dd 3 and Ds 11 months, and it's been a lifesaver. Dd isn't that fond of walking long distances, so just hops up on it when tired. I'm not sure if they attatch to every pram.

mustrunmore Sun 28-May-06 12:00:06

I really dont think he'd stay put on one,thats the problem! And what when he falls asleep? Even with a seat to go I'd have to get him off it to get on the bus.

azroc Sun 28-May-06 12:05:50

I get on well with a 3-wheeler buggy and a sling. Older child in buggy and baby in sling, or baby in buggy and older child on front of buggy, facing me, holding on to the bar (if this really doesn't make sense, I can email you a pic).
Alternatively, baby in sling, children walking and school bags, coats, violin etc in buggy.

mustrunmore Sun 28-May-06 13:57:13

I think I'm just going to persereve taking buggy, sling and hipseat out ewverywhere!

trinityrhino Mon 29-May-06 17:20:41

whats a seat to go??????????/

sparklemagic Mon 29-May-06 17:56:22

I really think with your older one at 2.5 you are still in the double buggy scenario, aren't you! Have to say my DS is rising four, and we still use a buggy occasionally for him (if I'm going out on my own with him) as he can't walk for a whole trip to the high street and back, and he's simply too heavy to carry......

mustrunmore Tue 30-May-06 07:53:51

I did think that sparklemagic, but I'm getting so much stick from certain other parents for not letting hin walk all the time.

misdee Tue 30-May-06 07:58:07

tell them to get stuffed. i was still using the p+t/double urabn detour with dd2 until a few months ago and she is almost 4. if it keeps your little man safe and happy then do it.

MadameClarydeClary Tue 30-May-06 08:16:57

mustrunmore don't worry about other parents giving you stick!
Must say the single buggy/papoose solution worked for us, then 6mo baby in buggy and older child on buggyboard. My gaps ar 2yrs and 22mo and I never had a double, but I can see why you still do.
I would say your best bet is single buggy and baby in carrier for shorter trips, and take the double for longer ones. I bet you see an improvement over the summer and yr DS1 starts walking more and more.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 30-May-06 08:29:06

Goodness, I'm quite hardcore about wanting kids walking etc etc, but I don't even mentally sniff at people for not having their kids walking until the kids are well over 3. (I never sniff out loud, because I don't know what other people's situation is!)

If you walk a lot, 2.5 is young to be always walking. DS1 was over 3 when he was kicked out of the buggy for good.

wrinklytum Tue 30-May-06 08:54:15

dear mustrunmore,my ds is 2.5 and have been in similar situation.Have recently invested in buggy board which fits on three wheeler.ds likes his "step" and it is better than pushing the sherman tank that was the dreaded double buggy.Just a thought it might help.cost me 35 quid but you may be able to get cheaper on ebay however not all fit to 3 wheelers.My board was from a company called "abc " and it is an "obaby" board no address on instructions sorry,I bought it in a shop but im sure you may be able to find them on line.HTH

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: