Talk

Advanced search

Quick Question on Pre-Schools..

(7 Posts)
IamBlossom Thu 25-May-06 10:45:21

What age do kids start one typically? I only ask cos I am about to remove DS 20 months from his full time nursery as I am due my second baby and will be a SAHM. Then I hear that my friends with similar age chldren are all putting their children INTO pre-schools soon. Should I be registering DS for one and what age do they start going???? Cor this parenting lark is well complicated

KBear Thu 25-May-06 10:47:21

Some take them from 2 yrs 9 months (if they are dry) some from 3. In my borough we get a free place from the term after they are 3. Ring round a few, go and visit and put his name down quick as places tend to go quickly at the good ones. Of course, he doesn't have to go.

foxinsocks Thu 25-May-06 10:47:35

most round here (proper pre schools not nurseries) take them from 2 and a half

lastrolo Thu 25-May-06 10:53:03

i work at a pre-school and from sept we are taking children from 2

GDG Thu 25-May-06 10:57:14

The ds's pre-school is from 2 to 5. If you mean the actual 'pre-school' year, i.e. the year before they go to reception and you want to use the school nursery - they go in the September of the academic year in which they will be 4 usually.

fullmoonfiend Thu 25-May-06 10:59:40

we take from 2 - but it is more common from 2.5yrs, better for the children IMO, they are better able to settlew and cope. Bear in mind pre-schools go up to school age, in one 'room' and it can be quite overwhelming for little ones. Most Local authorities give you funding for up to five 2 and a 1/2hr sessions a week (the term they turn 3). You can certainly visit a preschool now and put your child's name down. As there are fewer SAHM these days, places at preschool are usually more readily available than private day nurseries (where working parents are looking for childcare). Some schools have preschools attatched but very few actually demand attendance at 'their' preschool in order to secure a place at that school later. Preschool is not compulsory

IamBlossom Thu 25-May-06 11:06:20

Thanks gang this is great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: