Talk

Advanced search

At what age did you expect your DC to chew with their mouth closed?

(8 Posts)
JimbosJetSet Tue 28-May-13 10:57:21

DD is 2.8. Should I be trying to teach her to chew her food with her mouth closed yet or is she too young to be able to learn to do it consistently?

YoniBottsBumgina Tue 28-May-13 10:58:19

DS is starting to at 4. I don't think at 2.8 they can, their mouths are too small to chew without opening them.

YoniBottsBumgina Tue 28-May-13 11:00:07

Actually I've just asked him if he can do it and he said no, and then tried and he could. He's 4.5.

JimbosJetSet Tue 28-May-13 14:21:37

Thank you. I thought she was a little young - DM disagrees!

CreatureRetorts Tue 28-May-13 14:29:59

Tell your DM to back off. Don't give the kid a complex.

fieldfare Tue 28-May-13 14:30:26

I can't remember with dd but the two girls I look after at 2 1/2 can manage it very well.

Flossie82 Tue 28-May-13 14:31:54

DD is 2.6. If she is eating with mouth open we sometimes gently ask her to chew with her mouth shut and usually she then will. We also discourage talking with food in mouth.

ChunkyPickle Tue 28-May-13 14:34:06

I don't think I've ever noticed DS eating with his mouth open - although if his mouth is very full I've seen him with finger poised to poke escaping food back in blush

I didn't have to teach him though - this was just how he's always eaten. I don't know if I could teach him to eat differently yet (if I wanted to)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now