Talk

Advanced search

Weaning: Savoury and baby jar issue? help

(8 Posts)
robyn2 Mon 27-May-13 21:34:02

Have been introducing solid foods to my 6 month old for a few weeks. Started on baby rice at 5 1/2 months. DD will now eat baby rice, baby yoghurts, mashed banana, milk and rusks and really enjoys these. i also made apple puree which she would eat but was not too keen. The last couple of weeks ive been trying to get her to eat mashed potato and carrot puree and she just gags really badly spittin git out and looks at me in total horror. The same happens with the many different savoury and sweet baby jars i have tried. Im guessing i may have made a mistake by introducing all the lovely sweet creamy options in the first few weeks? Any ideas on what i can do now?? I really cant get savoury down her at all at the moment?

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 27-May-13 21:36:08

Add a tiny bit, say 10%, of the new food in a blend with an existing liked food. Slowly up the amount of new food over a few days.

ItsallisnowaFeegle Mon 27-May-13 21:51:40

Can I offer some recipes for purées?

I boil half a sweet potato with apple and or pear, then blitz and leave to cool.

I also do half sweet potato, 2-3 organic carrots and pear (or apple).

Or

3-4 organic carrots, 1 apple and 1 pear.

The sweet roots, alongside the fruit is a nicely sweet purée. If it seems too thick, add some of the cooking water and I'm sure you already know, but never add any salt or sugar to the pan. A TINY pinch of cinnamon is also nice occasionally.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 27-May-13 22:04:19

I used to freeze the purees in ice cube trays. That way you can put 3 of one type with one of another; two with two; one, one and two etc to make up different blends.

Teapot13 Mon 27-May-13 22:44:26

I would not worry -- weaning is pretty hit or miss. I can't believe it matters whether you start with sweet foods because nothing is sweeter than breast milk. You are probably doing fine.

What about some pre-cooked beets or slices of avocado? My DD1 liked to feed herself, although we did purees as well. She LOVED a piece of toast with cream cheese, although for a young baby you need to check the salt of both things. Sometimes she just gnawed the crust for practice.

BabiesAreLikeBuses Mon 27-May-13 23:03:44

Fwiw mine didnt cope with potato til after one, it gave them tummy ache, they would eat sweet potatoes. Mine loved apple or pear mixed with carrot puree and baby rice.

Fuckwittery Tue 28-May-13 04:06:51

If you bf at all, try sweetening the veg purees with breast mil
www.babycentre.co.uk/x546059/how-can-i-tempt-my-six-month-old-to-try-savoury-food
Suggests mixing veg and fruit

cakesonatrain Tue 28-May-13 14:15:49

What fuckwittery said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now