Talk

Advanced search

Are any other kids this clingy?

(10 Posts)
dramajustfollowsme Wed 22-May-13 21:54:21

My dd has always been a mummy's girl but I really thought that by 2.1 years she would have grown out of wanting to be attached to me all the time.
She screams when I drop her at nursery. She screams if I leave her with daddy. I can't get housework done as she is glued to me. She screams she wants "up" when I'm cooking. I put her down/don't pick her up and she attempts to shimmey up my leg like a drain pipe or makes herself sick crying hysterically.
She is only like this with me and has been like this since she was teeny. She is bright as a button but just likes having her mummy around at all times.

LittleMissLucy Wed 22-May-13 23:30:24

Normal. Reassure her. If you get impatient it will make it worse (not assuming you are just a common reaction).

allinatizz Wed 22-May-13 23:35:36

Mine is like this (21 months). It actually makes me sad. sad

OP, was she like it before she started nursery? I am thinking that it could be good for DD2 to go to nursery to be away from me for a bit, but the thought of her being so upset is terrifying. Does your DD settle after you leave?

allinatizz Wed 22-May-13 23:36:22

Sorry, just re-read and you did say since she was teeny. Mine too. sad

Doughnutmaestro Wed 22-May-13 23:56:11

My ds is similar, if I'm nearby he wants me to be there with him, he will accept if I'm in the same room but screams if I leave, the difference is that he's only like that if I'm there, if I leave him with someone he will accept that I've gone for a while (or a whole day if he's out with his aunties) and not bother that I'm not there from what I've been told he only asks after me once or twice and when he's told I'm shopping/at home etc he just accepts it and carries on.
Do you know if she's like that, if I'd not asked I woul have assumed he would be upset without me but its not the case, he knows ill be there when he gets home but when I'm in sight he has to be the Center of my attention.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 24-May-13 14:14:38

My ds was the same. I remember how hard it was. He started to grow out of gtwat around 2.5. I started sending him to a little play school for two hours, twice a week.
He started pre school in April and has settled more quickly than i expected. It is hard, but it will get better eventually.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 24-May-13 14:15:37

Grow out of it at! Apologies for typo!

Trazzletoes Fri 24-May-13 14:21:35

Oh god, DD is like this at 15 months... I was hoping someone would say she would grow out of it by 16 months!

Sunshine200 Sat 25-May-13 17:15:52

Yes, my dd is exactly the same at the moment, she is 20 months. I am really hoping she grows out of it before her second birthday as that's when her baby sister is due - not sure how I will cope if she is still so clingy!

dramajustfollowsme Sat 25-May-13 22:24:54

I'm glad she isn't the only one. We have a clip of her saying, "mummy is the best. I love my mummy" whilst clinging to my leg!grin
I'm sure that will be looked back with fondness when she is a stroppy teen who only communicates with me in grunts! wink
She calms down and accepts it, mostly, if I'm not there. However, if I am in the house, she is my shadow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now