Talk

Advanced search

What weight/height is your 6-year-old DD?

(20 Posts)
ali23 Wed 22-May-13 18:22:32

DD is 26 kilos. She is also just over 121 cm.

Slightly concerned at weight, although she doesn't look heavy and her diet is good. Lots of exercise too. Just slightly worried.

foolonthehill Wed 22-May-13 19:40:56

this BMI is a healthy weight for your child on the 87th percentile....GREAT

why are you worried?

ali23 Wed 22-May-13 19:56:30

We had to take her to out of hours last night with a really high temperature. The nurse who weighed her commented on her weight as "a bit heavy."

foolonthehill Wed 22-May-13 20:01:53

??shame she didn't mention that your DD is on the 91st percentile for height so "a bit tall"

People make these comments without actually thinking what they mean, if you plot her weight without her height then it will look heavy for a 6 year old, if you plot height as well it makes sense!

Waspie Wed 22-May-13 20:05:58

My son is the same height as your daughter (he's 5yo) and he's 20.5kg. I think his weight is a little too low for his height but he's not skinny and doesn't look underweight.

foolonthehill Wed 22-May-13 20:23:49

Fanfare: your son is on the 8th percentile for his age.....and guess what, is also a healthy weight!!

For children and teens BMI has to be plotted on age and sex specific grids because healthy body fat varies with development. We can't just look at a BMI calculation as we do in adults.

foolonthehill Wed 22-May-13 20:24:35

(below the 5th percentile is getting slimmer than ideal)

Waspie Wed 22-May-13 20:33:09

Really? The chart in the red book says he's approx. 75th centile for weight and 98th for height. May I ask how you worked out 8th percentile foolonthehill? I didn't realize there were BMI charts for children (learns something new every day smile)

He's actually just had the height, weight and hearing test done at school (he's in reception) so maybe I'll get feedback on those results.

foolonthehill Wed 22-May-13 20:40:19

8th percentile is age and sex specific BMI. It relates the weight to the height.

This is useful because someone could be on the 5th percentile for height and the 75th for weight..and whilst both are within normal ranges the BMI might be worrying.

I have a computer programme to work it out but there is a similar one on the NHS website here www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/healthyweightcalculator.aspx?WT.mc_id=101007

Waspie Wed 22-May-13 20:47:09

Thank you foolonthehill that's useful. I've bookmarked it for future reference.

His height has always been a higher percentile than his weight (even as a baby) but he has pretty much followed the same two lines in his chart since birth, so no major changes.

I realize the last sentence makes me sound a bit obsessed but I only weigh and measure him once a year, honest smile

foolonthehill Wed 22-May-13 20:54:38

grin

I have quite a few several DC, all tend on the tall but skinny side except middle DD who is shorter and shapelier than the rest. She is the only one who fits the red book charts and does not get sent for professional assessment (to me!!!) for a discussion about weight gain/ growth etc.

Waspie Wed 22-May-13 21:18:43

Your middle DD will find it easiest to find clothes as a teenager grin

My DS was always fated to be tall and long limbed. I'm 5'10" and I'm the shortest in my family. We're all arms and legs - like half spiders (yuck, sorry!)

If he ever finds himself in your professional care I will tell him not to use the spider imagery grin

tallulah Wed 22-May-13 21:28:39

My DD is 114 cm. When last weighed at 5 y 11 m (she is now 6 y 2m) she was 23 kg.

ali23 Wed 22-May-13 21:45:41

Foolonthehill, thank you. Bit more at ease. DH's family are all big - tall, muscular but do veer on heavy side too. DD has always been on 90+ percentile for height and weight but it's never been mentioned, not even when they were weighed in school in jan. thanks for your help smile

foolonthehill Wed 22-May-13 21:55:34

My pleasure.

tallulah: 88th percentile: healthy smile

off to bed now

Willowisp Thu 23-May-13 18:50:37

I'm going to weigh my slim 6 yr old & let you know her weight.

I think you can tell by eye whether your DC are overweight or not ?

My 2 are quite different builds, but neither are chubby or chunky. Do remember that kids are supposed to be slim, so, regardless of any chart, is probably worth looking at portions & types & amounts of snacks given.

I was a chubby child & hated it.

freetrait Thu 23-May-13 20:44:26

My DS is 6.5 and 24kg. He is 126cm. He is slim, but broad shouldered. I think at 6/7 they should be slimming out from 4/5, and yes, you can probably tell by looking rather than weighing smile.

foolonthehill Fri 24-May-13 08:05:11

Yes...judging by eye...hooray for good sense.

We just have to be careful that our "eye" does not get confused by what is "normal" ie common as opposed to healthy...as we as a nation are all getting fatter

ali23 Fri 24-May-13 11:02:41

Had made slight mistake with DD's height - she is actually 125cm! First we had measured her for months, had been estimating height. To the eye she has slim legs and slim waist but is broad shoulder and strong across the back. Think no reason to stress!

freetrait Fri 24-May-13 23:19:27

Definitely not! I think you can see fat (I can see mine!!) smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now