Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me it gets better!

(7 Posts)
Munchkinmommy Tue 21-May-13 22:05:45

I have started back to work today and I feel so awful. Work is fine but leaving my little girl is horrendous. She's 13 months old and will be going to nursery 2 days a week and grandma's one day. She has had settling in time at nursery and has so far been fine until u collect her when she really cries. I have been told by so many that it'll get worse before it gets better and that she will start to cry when I drop her off too. I feel so guilty leaving her, so worried that she'll think I don't love her. It's terrible. Will it get better?

SkiBumMum Tue 21-May-13 22:12:37

Yes grin soon she will run in & you'll wonder why you worried. Not easy now though. wine

lizandlulu Tue 21-May-13 22:14:14

Yes it will get better!!! My dd started nursery when she was nearly 2 and cried every day for months, although when I had gone she stopped. It will get better!

Don't let it worry you too much, it makes you feel awful but what can you do? If you have to work, then you have to leave them and nursery is such a great place for them to grow and learn. I'm sure in no time she will be blowing you kisses and waving you off smile

Munchkinmommy Tue 21-May-13 22:16:47

Oh I hope so! Thanks. It's the guilt. But like you say, have to work. Miss her so much though :-(

Gooeyhead Tue 21-May-13 22:52:42

My DD started nursery at 8 months and she cried when I dropped her off and she cried as soon as she heard my voice when I went to pick her up (I could actually hear her crying before I entered the room because she heard me!!). I phoned the nursery every day and was always told "shes fine" and i believed them.!! She's 1 next week and she LOVES nursery... It's took a few months but now she waves me off when I drop her off and she gets all excited when I go to pick her up, no tears!!! I'm sure your DD will soon get used to it and she'll be waving you off in no time.. Then it'll be you crying because she's not crying for you haha!!! grin

mummy2benji Wed 22-May-13 09:47:12

I promise it gets better! I recall more than one occasion of crying in the carpark myself after dropping ds1 off and him crying that he didn't want me to go. I felt bereft. The staff were fantastic and reassuring and made me hover in the foyer one morning, then sneak down for a peek into the kids' room - where ds1 was now playing happily, 2 minutes after being carried away from me wailing! I also had the tears on collection, and some of that is tiredness. I know that ds1 had a great time there, and when he left to go to big school they presented me with a big scrapbook full of photos and pictures and learning that he had been doing the whole time he had been there, documenting his development and friendships. I was overwhelmed and realised that he'd learned far more from being there for 3 days a week than he would have done if he'd been at home with me 5 days a week. He is now 4.5yo and a very friendly sociable boy - the first to go up to other children and say hi and ask if they'd like to play. I do credit the nursery for some of that. Dd2 will be starting there in September, aged 11 months, and I am dreading it! But keep reminding myself of the above.

Munchkinmommy Thu 23-May-13 16:39:32

Thanks for that post, makes me feel so much better. Being a mom is so hard sometimes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now