Talk

Advanced search

Saying "No" to a 9 month old?

(9 Posts)
PanicPants Tue 23-May-06 16:42:02

Mt ds is nearly 9 months, and this week I've been saying 'No' to him if he's touching something he shouldn't, i.e., dvd player.

I don't shout or even say it in a loud voice, but it is firm. He looks at me and then the bottom lip goes and he starts to cry and I feel so awful. But he does stop doing it, and I'm pretty sure he understands the word 'no'.

But my heart breaks, so should I keep going with this, or should I wait until he's older and just remove him from the t.v./dvd player when he's touching it?

CarolinaMoose Tue 23-May-06 16:45:22

I used to do this when ds was that age, but not sure why I bothered now.

I would just remove and distract, maybe say it's not for him to touch to reinforce it a bit.

Jessajam Tue 23-May-06 16:46:44

I say No to my 9mo ds too. He just looks at me with a "what's your problem' expression, does a little smile, leaves the cable to the electric heater alone for about 30 seconds, then tries again.
I don't really expect him to understand it all...so tend to move the cable away at the same time... that way he may start to associate the word with the action
I'd probably stop if he cried at me, especially with a wobbly btm lip and then would angonize about ending up on house of tiny tearaways in 3 years time with a tantrummy non-eating little boy and having my personality and dress sense torn to shreds here!!!

Kidstrack Tue 23-May-06 16:48:53

i would just remove and say we dont play with the dvd player or similar, my dd done the lip thing and cryed if i said no so thats when i just lifted her and put her down with another distraction

PanicPants Tue 23-May-06 16:51:44

lol jessajam at tiny tearaways. He's got a bit better at not crying straightaway, but if he continues to touch it and I say no again he then cries. And of course I then give him lots of cuddles.

That bottom lips a killer isn't it?

kipper22 Wed 24-May-06 09:40:17

DS is just like jessajam's - thinks if he gives me his big cheeky grin he is then welcome to carry on with his naughtiness!

PanicPants Wed 24-May-06 20:44:33

Success today, I said 'No' and he actually stopped doing it! And no tears!

suzi2 Wed 24-May-06 20:51:29

My DS also grins and then continues! He's a devilish charmer so I think we will have to do some serious discipline.

TBH I don't have to do 'no' mucha s he's not mobile and the only thing he does that warrants a 'no' is pull my hair. The sterner I get, the more he laughs at me! Think we have to try a different approach so I'm now ignoring it!

Oddly enough, me coughing sends him into awful tears. But telling him off, making loud noises or scaring him makes him laugh.

Cherylynne Fri 02-Jun-06 21:56:43

my 10mnth Ds2 does the wobbly bottome lip thing when i say no to him - or even not o touch, and then the ears come but i just say to him with a smile that they are pretend tears and he looks at me really cutely and stops crying - the pretend tears thing worked well on my older son too when the tears were put on a bit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: